Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yakima Racks
Well I have a set of used Yakima racks to put on my camper shell. I got lucky today and found them in the paper. Here is the question. How far apart should they be placed to properly hold the pontoon? Ron
[signature]
Depends on the toon and what you are mounting it to. For use, on the shell roof, we didn't want the toon touching the roof so at the widest point of the toon at both ends.
Plus it could slide if you attach at the rockers, so again, the widest point. I would say on a nine foot pontoon, maybe four feet apart.
[signature]
I've put mine on so that they're just past the rockers. A few inches either way isn't going to make a difference. You're dealing with inflatables which are forgiving in most cases.
Throw your boat on the topper, and where they (the bottom of the toons) meet the roof, put one on each end.
[signature]
The reason I am asking is I have to drill and install false gutters on the camper shell. I can only do it once. Ron
[signature]
The way I did mine was set the cross bars on the part where I wanted the toon to rest and then put the toon on that to measure it. I left enough room on each end of the toon so I can tie it down. My toons are 7' in length. In the 2 pics you can see where my measuring was being done and where I ended up putting the lower ones. The upper ones were adjusted to the final location. Hope this helps.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=70507"][inline "toontrailer - 400.jpg"][/url]

[inline "untitled - 400.jpg"]
[signature]