Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice on wader repair

I have 3 pair of waders. All with holes in them. I sat in the bath with them, then removed them to find the holes to plug, then i filled with air and submerged them but I'm still having problems. I guessworked the seams and resealed them too.

Hole areas are above the rubber boot, crotch area. I use
wader patchup glue.

Any better methods or fix-all techniques? I'll probably have to just buy another one.

Its funny how they leak at the lake, not in the tub.
[signature]
i have used aqua seal on neoprene waders before with good luck. I just caked it on the inside and outside of the hole area when the neoprene was dry and then let the aqua seal dry all the way.
[signature]
What kind of waders do you have? The Simms website has some really informative and detailed videos on repairing gortex waders and the neoprene booties. Click [url "http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gallery/gallery_display.html?gallery_id=00006"]here[/url] and scroll down the videos on the right side - there are several vids on repairing waders. I used these videos to repair my waders and they are now as good as new.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Are you talking neoprene or breathables. From the description it sounds like you might have some Hodgman breathables. If so, the material they use does not hold up well and often begins leaking within a few trips. First it is isolated pinhole leaks in the fabric and then large areas act like a sieve. Almost impossible to goop on enough stuff to seal them all up. Better to buy new and buy better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the waders are good enough to be worth saving then the Aquaseal is the best way to go.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, no need to get in the tub with your waders. Take them out on the lawn and carefully run water into one leg...avoiding getting any water on the outside. Shut off the water and look on the outside for water escaping from the inside. Have a marker to circle any leaks you find. Next run the water from one boot into the other side and repeat the leak search. If you find more than one or two holes you might wanna consider "upgrading".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the tip. I have both. More problems with my neoprene. I tried it with filling up the legs outside and thought it was fixed.

I will probably chuck these and get another.
[signature]
Good link. Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You can go to a dive shop and get special neoprene cement...like they use for making wetsuits. That sometimes makes a better and more flexible fix on neoprene than Aquaseal. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have had a couple of pairs of Hodgman neoprenes in the past. Once the seams start to leak it is really tough to fix them. You can seal the point at which you first see the leak and then it migrates along the seam and pops out somewhere else. Great way to learn new words...or to brush up on some you already know.[/#0000ff]
[signature]