Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why you should not skimp on guides when rod buidling
Check this out. Not very scientific, but it gets the point across quite well.
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vNZbKtFrU&feature=player_embedded"]Don't use cheap line guides[/url]
[signature]
Very interesting but it appears in the first guide test they are applying more pressure as they pull the line back and forth. Notice how much the guide moves compared to the second test where the guide moves very little. Just my opinion but it does not seem like a fair test, unless they apply equal pressure with the line, to each guide.
[signature]
That is exacly why I orginally said, "not very scientific"
[signature]
I see your point but do you think those guides can make that big a difference? Do you have any rods with ceramic guides?
[signature]
Most, perhaps all, of my line guides are the "good" quality guides. Then again, my rods are good quality to begin with. Why someone would skimp on line guides that only cost a bit more than normal guides is beyond me.
[signature]
I just meant, do you buy rods that have the ceramic guides or do you change them if you buy a rod that doesn't have them? I rarely have to change my rod guides but I guess I should consider using ceramic the next time I do have to. Do you know of a local store that carries them?
[signature]
Just about all my rods come with the guides. I have changed out one set and I think I got them from Bass Pro. Its been about 10 years ago.
[signature]