Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making your own plastics
Just decided to start making my own plastics and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on techniques they have learned that work well. I have already learned that if you don't use the right kind of glitter you just end up coloring the plastic whatever color the glitter was. Luckily that will still work fine for the first batch I made. Also I am living in southern california and would love to fish more in the ocean so any suggestions on colors that work well for surf or deep sea fishing would be great. If anyone has any killer color combos that they would like to share that would be great or if anyone knows any areas they would like to suggest that would be cool too I live in Ontario, California. well I don't want to deviate too far from what I was originally posting so I had better stop there, Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jed Burton
[signature]
Hi Jedburton,
I have been pouring plastics for years, but only for bass... Its a lot of fun... I would be willing to help you if you have any questions.
[signature]
thanks here are some pics of some of my first attempts.
[signature]
cool what brand of plastic are you using?
[signature]
lure craft I believe,
Jed
[signature]
yea me too, they make a good plastic and a good selection of molds too.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Jed, good to see you are gettin' serious.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Barlows has a lot of good free info on their site, plus they also sell plastic and molds. Their glitters are made for mixing with plastic and are mostly colorfast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have caught a lot of fish in the salt on plain white plastic...chartreuse too. But you should also make up stuff in "crawdad" colors...greens and browns. Especially if you are fishing for bass around the rocks and kelp. They eat a lot of invertebrates in the brown/green color ranges. Small tubes and twisters in the brown/green colors work good in the surf for perch and corbinas too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah...fire tiger is a great color for a lot of salt water fish...surf or offshore.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks Tubedude next time you come down to visit Tubn2 we will have to head out for some fishing. I am really hoping to get out for some fun soon,
Jed
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I made a speed run down there a couple of weeks ago...just to see family. No fishing. Not sure when we will get down again. Got a lot of plans for the summer...including a week up in the Queen Charlotte Islands in July.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Should be some peak surf fishing and flats fishing for sand bass soon.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
What type of mold are you going with, silicone , hard or injection?
[signature]
injection, but I would like to play around with some silicone molds.
[signature]
They are ok, but kind of tough to pour out of a pyrex measure cup...
[signature]
If you are pouring plastics, you might want to buy some small aluminum pans from Barlow's and get a two place electric burner from Walmart. heat your plastic in a Microwave, pour the plastic in the pan keep it heated on the burner between pouring. The aluminum pan is much easier to pour from than the Pyrex.
Aluminum molds are by far the best, but cost the most.
[signature]
[quote Jedburton]Just decided to start making my own plastics and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on techniques they have learned that work well. I have already learned that if you don't use the right kind of glitter you just end up coloring the plastic whatever color the glitter was. Luckily that will still work fine for the first batch I made. Also I am living in southern california and would love to fish more in the ocean so any suggestions on colors that work well for surf or deep sea fishing would be great. If anyone has any killer color combos that they would like to share that would be great or if anyone knows any areas they would like to suggest that would be cool too I live in Ontario, California. well I don't want to deviate too far from what I was originally posting so I had better stop there, Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jed Burton[/quote]

Welcome to the obsession! My only advice is save your scrap colors! I like to melt them down to try new things, every once in a while I stumble onto a really great color!

I like to shoot with UV/ Glow as well. Just made a very large tube rod to dip some lake trout lures. This macs will pay this ice off!

Silicone molds are great, there is also the alumilite option in a pinch. Although I do not love the flashing it provides in the part line.

See if there are some 'makers' in your area or a 3d print hub. I have great sucess with 3d printed molds. and it is a fraction of the machine cost.

EDIT: links are not allowed for advertisement unless you pay for that right.