Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay on Sunday morning
Went to bountiful lake and had fun caught some cat and some trout. Want to try Willard for the first time but not sure where to go or what to use. Any suggestions?
[signature]
There's a good variety of fish in there, if you can find them. Have you seen Tubedude's Willard maps?
You floating or bank-tangling?

Water temps are still pretty chill, so you probably won't find fish chasing too much, so slower presentations. Chub minnows on the bottom, carp or chub strips. Everyone likes worms - from the Walleye to the kitties.
Jig heads with a twisty tail, white or chartreuse get good reports. Tip it with something, and bump along the bottom.

There's a nice beach area in the N. Marina, lots of folks float a feather jig under a bobber for Crappie. Light bites though, use as small a bobber as you can manage.
Just stay out of the inlet at the S. Marina - it's closed for spring spawn.
Take a look at some of Tubedudes Willard posts, and you'll see the kinds of plastics and baits he offers up.

And hey - welcome aboard!
Sweet!! Thanks man. We will be tubing and in pontoons. We were thinking about launching out of the south marina but it sounds like North is better??
[signature]
I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I'm been skunked to the North, been skunked to the south - been skunked all around, uh huh (ala ZZ top...)

If you want to fish the harbor, I'd probably lean towards the N. Marina. There's more structure there between the various docks, the beach, and the SW corner has some good submerged weeds. If you work along the rock walls outside the harbor - you might find some action as TD says if you find "the zone". Work zig-zag shallow to deeper.

Probably you best bet would be to work towards Eagle beach, then you get to some more weeds out from the campground.

If you choose the S. end - I've always spotted up tons of fish just outside the Inlet warning buoy, and along the channel out the harbor. My guess is Crappie, but couldn't get a bite that I'm aware of. (this year I'll use the camera to KNOW what's down there! Then I can SEE them raising that middle fin at me!)
Have run into perch and gills over towards the bathrooms. Again working north from the harbor would take you along the feedlot, and around the corner to freeway bay. Lots of chance for kitties, maybe even a wiper or walleye. Have got into the panfish right up against the wall.

Not sure what the road is like now (wet, muddy, rutty?) but the Perimeter road can get you to the SW corner where you can launch a tube. Along to the LightPole is where you'll find some of the deepest water (and good chance for wipers).

Damn - you're making me want to get down there!
(my best advice would be to read TDs posts, and try to do what he does, and realize - as I do - it ain't that easy!)

Despite the proximity to the freeway, and the glut of powersquadron in warm weather, (and the bugs of summer) it can be a real beautiful place to go for a float.