Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat trouble. any suggestions??
I have got to get on willard in the next couple weeks, but my boat will not allow it. I have a 1975 115 HP Evinrude 2 stroke.
This is what I have;
1- Spark
2- Fuel
3- Air

Will not start.

I have installed new plugs, new DTI, new battery, fuse is good, compression is good, and carbs are rebuilt.

I had a ton of trouble last year with it and got most of the kinks out but some remain. we had it to lake 5 times and it worked only once. that one time though it ran awesome all day, full throttle most of the day. but the other times it did not get off the trailer.

Any suggestions??
[signature]
Couple of suggestions
Take into a qualified outboard mechanic, anything short of that junk it [pirate] five times out and only once off the trailer, would be enough for me, sounds like she's seen better days.
[signature]
Spark advance is stuck too far forward. The lever under the magneto that follows the throttle linkage. Should be all the way back against the stop to start the motor and move toward the boat as you throttle up.
[signature]
I just have a hard time giving some one $85 + an hour. If my dad did not LOVE this boat I would have sunk it already.
[signature]
Yep, check your spark advance.
[signature]
[quote walleyebob]Spark advance is stuck too far forward. The lever under the magneto that follows the throttle linkage. Should be all the way back against the stop to start the motor and move toward the boat as you throttle up.[/quote]

thanks alot bob. so i have to pull the flywheel and pull that all the way back, or would you replace it?
[signature]
You may have already checked this, but it happened to me once. Check to make sure your kill switch is set to be on. Mine came loose one time and it looked like it was OK but I had to unplug it and then reconnect to get my outboard to fire up. Five minutes at the boat ramp and I was getting flustered for a dumb and simple mistake.

Mike
[signature]
Could be a stuck choke? I had my choke stuck once, and she wouldn't start.
[signature]
When you pump the gas bulb, does it stay hard? It's not uncommon for the valve in those bulbs to go bad and prevent gas from getting to the engine. They're cheap and easy to replace as well.
[signature]
I had a Mariner outboard do the same thing. Turned out to be a coil problem. Replaced it and it's run perfect for 20 years...
[signature]
You can see the lever on the driver side of the motor. My boat had the opposite problem. The lever stayed back and let it start but wouldn't throttle up. I had mine fixed at a boat shop, but I should have just fixed it myself. They just pulled the fly wheel and cleaned and lubed it. Its nylon and gets dirty or can melt a bit if your motor gets hot.
Take off the motor cover and have someone run the throttle back and forth and watch all the linkage.If everything doesn't move right you will have problems. Watch the little linkage right below the fly wheel. It should be all the way back to start and move forward toward the boat as you move the throttle.
[signature]
Since I'm not a mechanic, I wasn't trying to be snide, just saying what I'd do. Sounds like you've got a lot of good information on here so, here's wishing you good luck on getting her running.
[signature]
Send me a PM and I'll help you out. I'm a boat tech.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!