Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton ICE
[bobhappy]
Anyone seen Newton of late? Still iced over?
[signature]
Yesterday I drove by after taking the boat out to cutler and it was about 2/3 ice. It's pulled back far enough that you could shore fish, or launch a small boat or toon if you are really ancy. I'm thinking it will be ice free in about a week.
[signature]
I looked at it today, it's getting closer to 1/2 off and it's in several pieces. I don't think it will be long. I bet within a week it will be clear.
[signature]
[bobhappy]
Wow what a cool site. Thank you guys for the quick response you 2. Really appreciate it.
[signature]
I am going to drive by sometime today. I want to get out in the morning somewhere tomorrow. I will let you know later this eve what it looks like today. I will try to get a picture or two as well.
[signature]
[bobhappy]
Yep I'm going to do some scouting around tonight and tomorrow.
[fishon]
[signature]
I just took another look at it today. Maybe not quite 1/2 off, but somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2. It's in several pieces now, so if we get some good wind out of these storms it will bash things around and hopefully take out the rest.
[signature]
Drove by today. Quite a bit off the edges. If you put a smaller boat in at the ramp, you can't make it around because the ice is pushed up to the shore in some places. But who knows what tomorrow will be like. Got some pics too. In most, the ice line is pretty clear.
[signature]
Dude - that's a wicked report. A couple shots? Man you scouted the whole lake! Nice to see the boat ramp under water again. They need to look at fixing that thing at low water time!
But- that's one of the perks of having a small boat. Even if it was a 45 degree angle to drop in/ou!

It's the moving sheets of ice I've heard about that would be of concern. Would hate to get 'blocked' from getting back off the water.
Better just pack a sleeping bag....and extra bait!

It got dang cold last night, put a new sheet of ice on my yard-pond, but I doubt it's rebuilt edges for us. I was ready to pull the tarps off the boat, and still may - but now I've got snow to get past. Maybe it's a good day to hit a river.
If it ends up being Blacksmith - I'll try to get a Hyrum report in too.

Thanks for the shots Ben. Did you pitch a line? Those musky are probably waiting on the edge of that ice for a snack! Perch-head under a bobber bud - and you're in business!

I'm definitely in for some early spring floats on that water. Though we didn't catch much - it was fun as hell floating over the bass-beds, and seeing the Musky skulking by, clear clear water in early spring. And the back-necks of the lake - only "wet" in spring. You'll have to come for a float sometime. My son got a kick out of "driving" the boat. Some of that lake is even deep enough for the downriggers, though we didn't. Now the side-planers - they can do some work.

Just gotta keep one rod ready for the toothy beasts! I'm hoping for some top-water action this spring. But a steel leader and a popper just don't relate well. But some 'walk the dog' options, and bottom bouncing worm rigs are on the agenda. Got some tails and frog-legs to add to some bass-spinners.
I'm wondering as well hows it lookin now, is anything bitin
[signature]
I had totally planned on going out there Saturday morning, but when I woke up to the fog and breeze and 25 degrees, I went back to bed. [Smile] Maybe this weekend.
[signature]
[bobhappy]
Wow...Coyotespinner. Quiet the novel there...LOL

Hey I hit black smith and was actually getting hits jigging. Lost a bunch. Then went and checked out Hyrum. NO ICE that I could see at all. Was on the west side. Thanks for all of the updates.
[signature]
Totally ice free today. The water is up into the brush and trees.
[signature]