Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pontoon boats or float tubes
Im looking for a pontoon or float tubes. but wich one is the best one to get. and does any one have one that there not useing and wants to sell send me a pm thanks
[signature]
There are pros and cons to each. It depends on what you want as well. Be sure to check out the Float Tube Forum. Plenty of helpful info and folks lurk there.
[signature]
PM sent.
[signature]
If you can drive close to the water....toon.
If you need to walk or pack in....tube.
Simple.
[signature]
If you are just getting into flotation fishing you need to buy TubeDude's book. You can find the info in the for sale section of the forums. I'm just getting started myself and like you have a lot of questions. TubeDude has more than 50 years experience and you can save yourself a lot of time and frustration by reading his book. I got mine in the mail Saturday and have read more than half of it. Not too many people out there who are as willing to help out us beginners. I've been pestering him all weekend with questions and he has answered every one. Good guy, good book.
[signature]
Hey welcome to the site!!! Come over to the float tubing forum, as mentioned there is a lot of information there. Also several posts in both the main forum and in the archives on what kind of toons and tubes are out there and how to choose one. I agree that TD's book is great. I got it a couple years ago and it was a great read. Learned a lot even though I have been doing this now for 16 years.[sly]
[signature]
Hi Noble,
When you come up for Spring Break, you can use
my toon and my tube and compare them. Both are great fun and easy to fish from. As was stated, get Tubedudes book.
Might even let you have my tube if you are a good boy. Course you will have to get your own battery and motor don't ya see. You are a pretty big guy so maybe you will have to upgrade to a Fatcat. You stay safe big guy . Love ya.
pa
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Grampa, I have already sent a few chapters of the book over to your fine young grandson. Let me know if you need help in getting him afloat. Might even have some stuff left in the Fishing 101 stash if he needs some tackle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We gotta get him out to the Knolls and hook him up to one of those big nasty kitties. Does he know how to waterski?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
There are a couple of additional things to consider. If you use a float tube, you'll need chest waders unless you want to get wet. You'll be down in the water further and in cold water you'll not be able to last as long as you would on a pontoon boat. With a pontoon boat, you can get by with hip boots to keep your feet dry. Pricewise, you can get a float tube a lot cheaper but on the high end, some float tubes are pricier than pontoon rigs.
[signature]
Thanks Pat,
Noble is a good kid. He was starting down some not so good roads, but I think we turned him around by getting him hooked on fishing. Had him out to Vernon Reservoir and he caught and landed a 23in Brown and that was all it took. Had him on the Knolls Cats, and he was hooked all over again. Now he wants to know all there is to know bout kittie fishing.
[signature]
If you can drive close to the water....toon.
If you need to walk or pack in....tube.
Simple.

Old days[Tongue] That was true. Not anymore. I have a nine foot pontoon that weighs 28 lbs. I can pack it quite a ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiqDm1V2JUc
[signature]
I use a tube because it fits in my little car and because some of the waters in southeast Idaho that I like won't allow a pontoon but will allow a float tube. Don't ask me to explain the logic behind that one, that's just how it is.
[signature]
[quote gstott]I use a tube because it fits in my little car and because some of the waters in southeast Idaho that I like won't allow a pontoon but will allow a float tube. Don't ask me to explain the logic behind that one, that's just how it is.[/quote]

[#0000bf]I have read some of the info on the Idaho board about this issue, and I thought Utah had some screwy regs...[:/][/#0000bf]
[signature]
Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for those places where I can float around and not worry about some moron in a ski boat running me down, but tube or pontoon, it's all the same.
[signature]
I prefer a pontoon because I can sit a little higher and that helps with a back cast.
also you have oars and can get farther quicker if you need to.
[signature]
Been doing a little one on one with the Idaho officials on this matter....they are actually asking for advise. My post to them, if a manufacturer calls it a tube..ie: ODC, SFC, FC4, then is it not in fact a float tube? They agreed and asked for help rewording it...hang in there. Hard for people that don't have a clue about a subject to make a fair law about it......ie: Herbert and our rivers.
[signature]
Since I don't fish in Idaho, I have never heard this. So they have actually banned fishing from a tube and/or toon on some waters in the potato state !!! And what is behind this reasoning ???? are they afraid that someone is going to infect the water with hoof n mouth or something ???? Help me out on this !!!
What I gathered is it was a generalization. People with bigger boats like Pontoons were breaking down the fences. The law was then made when Doughnuts were the tube choice. So, the reg. reads, one must be in the water from the seat down and no oars. Meaning "your" seat not the tubes. Since the U boats do put you on top and in some cases out of the water, they do not fit that "TUBE" description enforced years ago.

So, they seriously want to rewrite it, but not sure how. That is why I pointed out, what a manufacturer calls a tube.

My question comes from the fact my float tube is a frameless pontoon and 9' long, but it weighs 28 lbs, so, yes I can lift it over a fence. I would leave the oars off, BUT I am sitting out of the water......

Working on it.
[signature]
I'm glad to hear that it's being worked on. Perhaps I'll buy myself a pontoon for a graduation present.
[signature]