Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas Mileage with trailer
I just got back from a Trip to Lewiston Id. We went up to see my Daughter in School. While I was there I decided to do some fishing. Well the water was WAY too cold for cats but we did get some trout one day. We kept 12 for a meal for 6. Wow were they good. Anyway back to the trip. I took my 14' echo trailer with my toon and Jacobs toon. The pictures are not of the trip. I had everything in the box and we had the back filled with luggage and stuff to take to my daughter. I was shocked at my mileage. I normally get 16 MPG with my winter tires, and 19 with my summer tires. I ran the mileage with my GPS and compared it to the odometer. The trailer cost me less than 2 MPG. I was shocked at that and very happy. This beat my old trailer by a log way. Ron

[Image: PontoonTrailer3.jpg]
[signature]
No wind resistance Ron. That is why we rarely travel long distances with a boat on the roof. With our boat trailer, it doesn't effect the milage at all on our truck (20 to 24 mpg) and not noticeable with my Suzuki. The trailer probably weighs maybe around 350. Boats, X5 about 68lb's (with oars) each. Battery in back of truck or Suzuki. Gas motor about 58 lbs. Any rate, I bet we are pulling at the most 750 lbs which is nothing. Even less if we trailer the Renegades as they weigh about 28lbs ea.

Our camping trailer drops us to 11 to 16 mpg, but that doesn't change if we tow the boat trailer behind it. We have tried both ways. Boats in the back of the truck or even in the camping trailer versus pulling the flat bed behind the trailer.

Now if you had a solid front to that trailer, I bet you would notice it more.
[signature]
That trailer is so low and close behind I think our right. No wind. The box on the front doesn't catch any wind. Keeping everything ready will be great. Ron
[signature]