Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Deer Creek reports?
Buddy wants to take his boat out for a shakedown run on Friday and maybe we'll get a few fish, thinking Deer Creek, anyone been lately and any reports? Thanks
[signature]
Only ice is in Wallsburg. I don't know about boat fishing, but shore fishing between the ice sheets in Wallsburg netted me a limit of 17 inchers in about 40 minutes.
[signature]
That is good news! I was hoping to fish Deer Creek at ice-off this year, but I thought I had missed the chance. Did you go up today? Yesterday? Can you give me any more details such as time of day, bait, etc.? I may go tomorrow, and I will appreciate any advice you can give me.
[signature]
Another site online lists an update from today (3/31/2011) as DC being 90% ice free. Needless to say I am going to be hitting that place early Saturday morning to try and catch anything willing to bite.
[signature]
I was up there this morning, there is a little ice piled up in Wallsburg, but the lake is completely ice free.

And was I mistaken, or did there used to be wakeless buoys at the mouth of Wallsburg.
[signature]
Fished this evening in the Wallsburg arm. Saw quite a few caught and got 3 myself in a couple hours. Medium sized slimers - beautiful pink meat. They will be great grilled tomorrow evening before the Sunday storm.
[signature]
[quote wshiwsfshn]I was up there this morning, there is a little ice piled up in Wallsburg, but the lake is completely ice free.

And was I mistaken, or did there used to be wakeless buoys at the mouth of Wallsburg.[/quote]

They were there last summer. Now that ice is off, look for new ones to be placed shortly.
[signature]
[#000050]There are bouys all over the lake. They have all been dislodged by the wind and ice. I suppose the rangers will move them into position soon. i noticed a lot of boats speeding in the Walsburg arm because the bouy is missing.[/#000050]
[signature]
I spent two hours on the shore, with only one 16 inch male to my credit. Floating bait was ignored, as were worms fished on top and bottom. The one fish I got was on a brass colored spoon trailing a nightcrawler, and the fish hit about ten feet off shore line. Spoke with eight other fisherman total, all using floating bait, not a fish among them
[signature]
And what did that fish teach you?

A few hundred years ago when I fished for slimers, we would go up to Strawberry in the spring. Chicken creek usually. We would walk down the shoreline and ask everyone how they were doing.A fish here and there. Then we would set up and cast fifty feet to one side and land our bait ten or fifteen feet from shore. Even after catching three or four fish in the 3 to 5 pound range, folks would keep casting way out past the fish and not figure it out. Good fun!!
[signature]