Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of life vest do you have?
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Hi tubers,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Many of the lakes in my area require tubers to carry a Type lll PDF life vest. After looking at quite a few of them I have yet to find one that that would give me enough flexibility to fish in if so required. What kind of vest have you found that works for you?[/size][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=614;]
[signature]
I use one that is made by stearns... it is very lightweight. it has mesh shoulders on it so that mobility of the arms is not limited. it has many pockets on it and a fly patch. it is made for fishing. I got it at wal mart for only 20 or 30 bucks.. good deal. however I think it is a type 2 PFD.

joe
[signature]

Hi there Dryrod,

Heeeeeeeey buddy! he! he! he! As TubeDude will tell you, you have just pushed my button. The PFD I sincerely think you want is a product called SOSpenders. Using Google you can find their website easily. Many of the bass pros use this product as all you wear are two two inch straps in the front and mesh vest which becomes a PFD upon pulling the rip cord (you can blow up the thing yourself).

Compact, cool, great mobility and expensive.... Oh No!!! Wait! Yaaaaa they cost a little more but they have models for porcuine individuals such as myself! Once you see them, you'll not bet your life or your float tube and gear on anything else.

Your life insurance policy, you know the one out on you that you don't know about, and your accident insurance may have special clauses concerning wearing of PDF. ha ha I got this warning from the USCG California Auxliary. Check it out to be sure.

You asked for it!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]I also have a Stearns vest, made for Shamu. Since Arizona doesn't care about people drowning in float tubes, they do not mandate that I wear it. So, for most of the close in fishing I do...especially in the hot weather...I leave it at home and sweat in a non floating tee shirt.

I assure you that when I hit the waters of California, I will be in compliance. I will also have a set of SOSpenders too. Thanks for the input on that JR.

The reality of tubing is that we are probably a lot safer, under most conditions, than boaters. The reason for the rule on floatation is for the rare potential of "deflation" while on the water. I have never known anybody to get a leak bad enough to require a flotation device...in over forty years of float tubing. But, I guess those who know what is best for us just have our best interests at heart. RIGHT.
[signature]
I do not know what level mine is either. I believe it is the same as joe's. I do not wear it either. I keep it on the tube just in case though.

There are some out there that are combination life vest and fishing vest. Usually run about $70-$100 but I heard they are worth it.
[signature]
[cool] Hey there Dryrod,

Beings that you are in SoCal, you can also find those life/fishing vests at Turners Outdoorsman and Sports Chalet. Just like fishingfather said, they do run about $70-$100. Lots of pockets and some do have the fly patch.
[signature]
haha...i dont wear mine either. oh well! but dont be caught without it. I have needed mine once. me and the rest of the dh tubin gang were trying to battle the surf at cabrillo beach in san pedro. well....lets just say that we were not as successful as we had hoped. i lost a rod and reel set up, and my waders filled with water. if i had not had my life vest on, well.... it would have been a lot more memorable than it is now. i dont know if i would have went under, but i dont want to talk about it.

I have had many lifeguard boats, and a couple of coast guard boats cruise past me while i didnt have my vest on. they just looked at me, said hello, and just went off on their way.

joe
[signature]
That because as a non registered sea going vessel there is nothing really for them to say. You are not required to register or wear a vest so no need to stop[Wink]

Now my pontoon, they are not sure..So they tend to cruise past me real close then waive when they see no motor[shocked]
[signature]
[cool]I remember the story of your tube surfing excursion at Cabrillo. You were guilty of having more guts than brains. I think you gained a better respect for what the surf can do to you in a tube, that day. Tubes ain't like body boards...or body surfin. There's a lot of flotation to hold you up where you can get hammered...until you get rolled over. And, the surf WILL give you a good tumble.

As bad as it was to lose some tackle, we all know it could have been worse. Let's be glad it wasn't. As I recall, you got some full waders too. A life vest could have saved you if you were separated from the tube and had full waders...by at least helping to keep your head above water until you got to shore or ditched the waders.

Accidents, by definition, are something we do not plan for. And that is the whole purpose of having a flotation vest. As we have pointed out for other items of gear on this forum...IT IS BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT, THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.

It surprises me to hear of the casual inspection of the patrol boats on those vests. I had heard that they were pretty strict. Maybe some more than others, and some waters more than others. Now, if you hook up a big 4 cycle motor on the stern of your tube, be prepared to be the focus of a lot of attention...from everybody.
[signature]
[size 2]It's been mentioned before for us older guys with the wife, kids, girlfriend, boyfriend whatever concerning life insurance.[/size]

[size 2] Some policies will not pay out if they find you died as a result of negeliance,etc.[/size]

[size 2] Something to think about. I am not real big on tubing in the surf for that reason even though my water skeeter is designed for ruff water.[/size]

[size 2] There are so many bays and inlets in the soothern LA and northern OC area's I won't risk it [Wink][/size]
[signature]
[cool]Or, as I so indelicately put it "MY MAMA ALREADY DROWNED ALL THE DUMB ONES".
[signature]
[size 2] They don't bug you for a vest in Calif but they will get you for Nav Lights before dawn and after dusk.[/size]

[size 2] I found some that run on batteries for a bow and stern light when I was out real early once. Harbor Patrol was trippin, but it was legal. [/size]

[size 2] It all depends on the Harbor Patrol Officer too. I had one once tell me I had to register my pontoon which is powered by oars only, in Calif![/size]

[size 2] I told him he better read up on the boating laws because your wrong.[Wink][/size]

[size 2] He said well I will write you a ticket and see what happens. I said go ahead then I will make a fool out of you in court.[shocked][/size]

[size 2] So he started to write me a ticket, I got on my marine handheld and hailed the Coast Guard. [unsure][/size]

[size 2] Alamitos Bay CG come on and I asked them if I had to register a 7' pontoon using oars only.[/size]

[size 2] They said no you don't. I made sure I had the radio loud enough so the Sheriff heard. I said you still want to write that ticket?[/size]

[size 2] He basically said have a nice day and left.[Wink][/size]
[signature]
I use SOSuspenders as well. You can find lots of them in boating stores such as West Marine. There's a similar Canadian manufacturer out there that makes the Mustangs. I believe lots of pilots uses them.

I got mine on sale so I have both a vest and a belt pack for spare. The Sport model is a type III with about 28# boyancy that costs about $80. I got the World Class model which is a type II with 32# of boyancy. The waist pack is also a type II. They come in auto inflate or manual inflate. The manual inflate models must be activated by pulling a rip cord when you are overboard. The auto inflate with pop on its own when you fall into the water. The auto inflate model can also be converted into a manual model which is what I did because I didn't want a splash to activate my vest.

The vest model is worned around the neck and harnessed around the waist so all you have to do is pull the cord. The waist pack you have to pull the bladder over your head after the cord is pulled. They can also be inflated orally if the CO2 failed or if additional air is desired.

Although they are type II or III they are also designated a type IV(or was it type V?) due to their inflatable nature which means that they do not fulfill the coast guard vessel requirement unless they are worn. This means that you cannot leave them in a bin.

I tested these in a swimming pool and they turned me from face down to face up very quickly. This is very important if you are unconscious.

Both the vest and waist pack models are very comfortable to wear and heat is not a factor. Wearing the vest is like drapping a scarf around the back of your neck and the waist pack is much like a fanny pack.

Ahimanic
[cool]Good report. Definitely sounds like the way to go. The price might be more than some folks would like to pay, but it is better to pay a little more than you wanted to...than not enough.

That was a good point about the bouyancy designed to float the wearer face up. Floating face down, while unconscious, is not going to halp much.
[signature]
My friend has the shoulder ones too. He got it on sale for like $40!! and 2 refill kits for like $30.

I wish I had jumped on that when I did. I looked around and because there so popular now with some enhancements like pockets for tackle and fly patch they run from $100-$200 in alot of places.

For the tubers this would be great~ Rick's Bait and Tackle sell those fishing life vest/fishing vest combos for about $80.

They have the mesh arms so you have plenty of arm movement. Sooner or later I will pick one up.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Guest, glad you agree. I agree with you too. Unless a vest is properly worn, it is just extra baggage.

By the way, are you a regular member who failed to log in? Or, by chance a newcomer to the board. If the former, double check before you post. If the latter, how about registering and telling us a bit about yourself.
[signature]
I just picked up a couple starter combo vests at Turners. They were selling for $35 instead of thier previous $90. They are typeIII pfd. USCG approved.
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like you scored a great buy. Did you get a chance to model them for the rangers at Castaic over the weekend?

Hope you always wear them, but never have to use them. Got it?
[signature]
We showed them to the Lifeguards at Castaic. They said that they were fine and dandy. I don't plan on having to use them but they will be worn. Better safe than sorry. We just found out also that another lake close by, allows tubes with proper pfd as well. It is a small lake (Hansen) but they do have some decet holdover cats in there. (sunrise to sunset only) darn but oh well. Tubing we must. hee hee
[signature]
[cool]Got a goody box packed to send off today. Has some of those plastic rod holders, a couple of BFT shirts, some stickers...and a buncha bait bugs and spinners to introduce to the local fishies. I'll PM you some instructions on how to use them.

By the way, if the water in that little lake is clear, the cats in there will munch those bait bugs during the day...with a bit of sweetener (worms or fish meat) on them for flavor. TubeBabe and I catch more cats by accident, fishing for other species, than the guys who soak stinkbait and worms.
[signature]