Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12' 4'', 1000-pound sturgeon
A fisherman in the San Francisco Bay this week caught a 12-foot, 4- inch sturgeon. It had a 58" girth. The fish dragged the boat 4 miles before wearing down. The fish was released but the measurements were witnessed by two other boats fishing in the same area. The fish was estimated to be over 1000 pounds! Now, that is a fish! Mike
[signature]
was it in salt water? I thought sturgeon lived in fresh water. I've never fished for them and don't really know anything about them.
[signature]
That is a monster fish for that area. I haven't seen anything in their local papers or fishing boards from that area. Do you know who caught it? I'd love to see a pic!

Depending on the time of year the will travel from the Salt and or brackish water up into completely fresh water to spawn. The rest of the year the salt doesn't seem to bother them.
[signature]
[url "http://www.fishsniffer.com/...n-francisco-bay.html"]http://www.fishsniffer.com/...n-francisco-bay.html[/url]

Don,
Here is one of two reports on the sturgeon. By the way, the salmon fishing for kings has been quite good down there, in Half Moon Bay. They just found them this past week, and are either limiting or coming close to it. Every time I have fished out of Half Moon, I ended up feeding the sea lions with a delicious meal of king salmon. There is something less than exciting about catching salmon heads! Mike
[signature]
I was told in Idaho they used to be anadromous (just like the salmon and steelhead) before all the dams were built. That had to have been a pretty long while ago though. That would be interesting to see a sturgeon run.
[signature]
I think they may have been pulling your leg about that fish. They haven't caught one out of there in that category in years. [Image: bobwink.gif]

I ran the Sniffer site for 5 years and now own one of the largest fishing sites in that area.

The King bite is fair this year with quite a few shakers being caught. Reports are 7 to 15 under size fish for every keeper and an average of .75 to 1 keeper per person being checked per day.

I'll pm you a link to my site. [Image: happy.gif]

Don
[signature]
Sturgeon by nature are anadromous. Currently the dams do block their path, and that is one of the limiting factors in reproduction in Idaho. Another limiting factor is the lack of pristine water and high flows required for spawning. All that being said a 12 footer is truly the fish of a lifetime.
[signature]