Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard in the Cold and sun
We headed up to willard today and the wipers where on a steady bite all day, Started at 8 am water temp 48 and air temp 29 we started trolling the north dike downriggers and planer boards with blue and orange crank baits, The bite was steady all day with very little w__d, We ended up landing six wipers, One walleye, one small cat and lost another seven or eight fish the bite was lite and we trolled 1.2 to 1.6 mph all in all a great day on the bay with a great friend. Water warmed up to 54 by quiting time
[signature]
Awesome, awesome!!!!! Thanks for the report. Tight lines to all my wiper friends.
[signature]
Looks like a great day! Nice wipers and walleye.
congrats!
[signature]
Nice to see a great report from Willard!! Congrats on a very nice catch!!
[signature]
Nice job, that is pretty batch of fish... I've never tried the wipers before are they good eating? How about fight, they look big enough that I bet they are a great fight? Do you think a rookie could figure out how to catch one? I had been planning on trying Mantua today but I know I won't catch anything close to your haul nice job..
[signature]
Yes wipers are one of the hardest fighting fish that swims in ut, And yes a rookie can do well on willard on shore or from a boat also wipers are great table fare there is a small red blood line on the meat cut that out and fish tacos here we come. Good luck
[signature]
Nice catch. I was out on willard yesterday too. But Mostly just searching the bottom with my new side imaging scanner. Trying to figure out these gadgets on the new boat still. Definitly didnt have your luck.
[signature]
Sweet catch !! I'll be walking the north dike sunday.. Hope we do as well as you.. Thanks for the report..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Awesome news, awesome report. Best word to describe it. No wonder you guys are smiling so much in them photos!

Looks like you've got a nice setup and know how to work it! Thanks for the info - but curious - downriggers on Willard? It's what 25 ft deep at best? What depth are you running? Do you use any pop-gear? On the ball, or line? Dodgers? Or are you just running the crank down to depth - how far behind the ball?
I'd guess your Walleye hit on the sideplaner? I've started playing with those on Willard, and a few other places.

I've met one wiper, and it was small on the relative scale, but it was a brick. Can't imagine what one of the bigguns feels like (but I hope to find out!).
Bit more of this sunshine, and we'll be getting some warmer water! Thanks for the report - good to know they're out there!
I put the plugs 25 ft back and use the downrigger to run the bottom 20ft deep i put the weight down 14 ft and this way i know my plug is running 18 to 19 feet down right in the walleye face troll slow and the walleye and 2 of the wipers come on the downrigger every thing else was caught on the planer boards deep diving plugs on the planer boards with three way swivel 1/8 to 1/4 oz drop shot sinkers 3 ft in front of the crainks 14" down i hope this helps
[signature]
they call it control depth fishing been around quite sometime.[Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
May I ask, for someone that has never fished this lake, where would one launch a pontoon.?(map would help, as I said, never fished it before)
[signature]
the Easiest is in the marinas. Heres a post for ya to check out about the map.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_..._collapsed

There is an access road to hike over by the feedlot but I've never been there.
[signature]
THANK YOU! That is what I was looking for. Thanks again.
[signature]
Thanks fishslyer for the map i did not have one to help him out
[signature]
Great report Hydro and thank you for all the detailed info on how to get-r-done[Wink] How close to the bottom do you think your lures on the planner board where mid depth or right down on the bottom too. with the down rigger lures. looks like you got the trolling down to a science.

thanks for the info and the great pictures of your catch I need to get out there and get that perm a grin on my face too![cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the info I should have tried it.. I went to Hyrum and lived up to my name with a skunk...
[signature]
nice fish dude. thanks for the report. I was thinking of heading up there shortly but I'm not sure yet. nice job
[signature]