Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stewarts Point 4/23
Wanted to avoid the seasonal crowds in the boulder basin and headed north. Way north accessed the park via the valley of fire hwy.

Made my way down the dirt road and parked by 11am. I was horrified at all the campers and people along the shoreline. I thought maybe with high gas prices it would be a ghost town I thought wrong.

Began to unpack my tube then realized I forgot the adapter to the pump there was no way to get'er pumped up.Right then and there I thought Mission Failed !!!

Didn't have any treats for the kitty's so I casted the shoreline with lures. I was working a curly tail grub fairly shallow then boom a dink striper wanted to play. I landed her, snapped a pic, told her she needed to gain weight then set her free.

Continued to work the grub for about another half mile of shoreline then called it quits when I started to get hungry. Had fun just wish I could of got the tube out. It was also hot as hell with a slight wind. Until next time.

[inline 003.JPG]

[inline 010.JPG]

[inline 012.JPG]

[inline 025.JPG]
[signature]
nice report sorry to hear about your tubing mis-hap, dont feel too bad cause upon unloading my gear i found my beautiful 9ft okuma 2 piece rod in 3 pieces[mad], bad start for me also. but anyways i need to get my butt out that way someday how far is it? there was hella people out at government wash on friday too.. campers, swimmers, boaters, jet skiers, wheelers, fishermen, and fisherwomen, not to mention the game warden who checked us, then caught the next guy over without a license gave him a nice souvenier ticket and sent him on his way.
[signature]
I had a good time even though I didn't get out in the tube [cool] I slept in so I musta forgot that critical piece in my rush to leave.

Its a 140 mile round trip from where I live its well worth the drive if you can plan it right. There was also quite a variety of people at stewarts. Some folks had some pretty extensive camps out there some appeared to be permanent lol.

Really somebody got cited? What gets me is they have the money to drive all the way out there in their fancy car/truck but they don't want to dish out $40 bucks for a lic.
[signature]
I fished a BAF tournament out of Echo Bay on Saturday.

We fished up to Overton, then went down to Temple bar, and back to Echo to finish the day. We had a rough bass day out there. For some reason, we couldn't put a limit together. We ended up with three keepers for the day. Dammmmit.

BUT, we killed the stripers. I was tossing a spinnerbait, and the guy i was fishing with was throwing a tube, and we were both nailing stripers left and right. All the striper action was up in the muddy water of Overton. It sucks when you are fishing for LMB and SMB and you get nailed with a freight train, but it ends up being a striper.

They were all quality fish, too. Most went over 2lbs, and one striper came up to the boat and nailed my partners spinnertbait so hard it broke his line. Fish must have been over 10lbs easy.

Winning weight for the day was 15.5lbs. Closest competitor was 2lbs short, and we ended up with a measly 5.5lbs. OUCH.

Til next time, when I say I am gonna win. Again.
[signature]
[quote 4poundonly]Made my way down the dirt road and parked by 11am. I was horrified at all the campers and people along the shoreline

[/quote]

I saw those campers, I was surprised so many people had filled up the area. The Echo Bay campsite was full to the brim. Not one open spot left.
[signature]
Echo is the place
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Is there anyplace north of echo to launch a boat or is it the only launch ramp in that area? Also, I would like to get into some stripers, how many miles north is it from echo where we can find some fish? Visiting from Utah, thanks!
-Cory
[signature]
Once you launch your boat at Echo, you turn left (north) out of the harbor area and go up to the muddy water. It is only a couple miles north, if that.
[signature]
dayum that sucks about your tube, at least it wasn't a skunky trip though. Nice pics[Smile]
[signature]