Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What can you catch on Corn?
I am looking for some feedback from local Utah fishermen. What is the big deal about using corn for bait? [crazy] That stuff works better than power bait could ever dream of working.[cool] Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
[signature]
LOL I read the post in the general fishing board. TD put you up to this! LOL Anyway, I have no idea why the don't allow corn, except for supposedly its too close to the "Purina Trout Chow" they feed the fish in the hatcheries, so it's almost like cheating because it's too easy. I could see that applying to the planter catchable size rainbows, but not to anything else. I think they should allow it at least in warm water fisheries that don't even have trout in them, like Utah Lake, Lake Powell or Willard for example.
[signature]
hi steve i agree corn will catch trout and carp to just not here in utah you cant even have a can on your person if your fishing unless you want a nice fine i'm not sure why you can't use it here but i think on another post the main reason was people were chumming up trout with it

chris
[signature]
[cool] Actually someone else was asked to post. I don't mean any harm or offense. I guess they have a whole different formula her in CA. Therefore corn is still on the menu. I used to live in Utah with TD. He is my Dad. We went to lots of good fishing places there. At least we found a good sub for corn and that was mini marshmellows. The trout at Deer Creek Res. would go nuts for them. Thanks for the come back and come to SoCal some day. I'll supply the corn. Have a good one.
[signature]
Hey TubeN2, I knew TubeDude was your dad. You're always welcome here, just as he is. I enjoy reading your posts on the float tube board. You're right, he dared fishfather to ask about corn here. hee hee.
[signature]
Corn Corn Corn[cool] There I said it! I love corn[Wink]
[signature]
[cool] hey cat man, clever you are. You are also welcome anytime on CA boards. I enjoy messaging with cool people just like the ones on most of BFT. That really stinks about the corn thing though. Come on out one day to SoCal. We have some decent Channels and Record Blue Cats as well. And the fishing is pretty decent all year long. Later my friend.
[signature]
[cool] Good job there fishfather,

you got me off the hook and away from the pot of fresh chowder. I thought they were going to cook up us CA boys but I guess they were friedlies this time. haa haa.
[signature]
Is this a trick question? I have heard that corn isn't easily digested by fish and therefore can obstruct their digestive tract and kill them.
[signature]
hey steve no harm or offense taken at all at least with me even if i could use it here in utah i probuly wouldn't i rarey fish bait i just bought my first dozen night crawlers of the year last week but i thought your question might open up a big can worms LOL
chris
[signature]
[cool] I don't recommend trying to chum with it. I wouln't suggest corn for the C&R practitioner. Corn can be a little harsh on the fishy but it does make good bait. Humans have enough of a hard time with Corn. But it all comes out in the end.[cool]
[signature]
i know i don't digeste it very well but it seems to go thru the plumbing ok LOL
[signature]
[Tongue] they do consider it to be high in fiber. LOL
[signature]
Hey tubeN2, I'd love to go down to soCal and do some ocean fishing, as well as anything else you got down there! I'm in my 3rd year of my Bachelors Degree, I graduate spring 05. Maybe I'll get a job down there when I do. My wife and I have actually said we'd love to live in Cali and I will be looking for jobs there. Don't know if I'll go north to Sacramento area or down to LA area though.
[signature]
I'm down in LA area. That is about the center of all the attractions. Fishing holes in all directions. Leagal to use corn too. hee hee.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]By reading the subject line, I knew to stay clear of this thread. I just didn't know HOW far... Ya got me...[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Always gotta step in to clean up your messes.

My first fishing days in Utah...in the sixties...corn was a standard bait. At some point the DWR decided to ban it. It would be a real challenge to collect all of the excuses, reasons and misinformation that has circulated over the years about why corn is not legal in Utah...about the only state in the union that I can find where it is not allowed.

You can pick from the following: 1. The fish can't digest it. 2. The bottom of the lakes become coated with so much corn (from chumming) that it pollutes the water as it rots. 3. It makes it too easy for people to catch the pampered hatchery pets, who are used to similar fodder.

Mind you, I have not conducted a mass spectrograph analysis of the degree of digestion on the "leftovers" extruded from the nether regions of trout, to see whether or not it provided ANY nutritional value on the way through. But, I have seen enough "evidence" of a completed journey that I doubt that corn restricts the flow of food through trout. In other words, I have taken more than a few trout in waters legal for the use of corn, where the trout were "downloading" partially digested corn. They seemed to be healthy and capable of both eating and excreting.

I have also not suited up to dive in Strawberry, to measure the depth of the corn chum...back in the days when it was supposedly a problem. When they first poisoned Strawberry, in late '61 I believe, the water was covered with every imaginable species...including some healthy carp. Of course there were some giant cutts too, but I don't think they ate corn much. It seems to be a rainbow kinda thing.

If I had gone below, I doubt I would have found the disaster claimed by a few corn detractors. I have heard that the entire bottom of Strawberry was covered to a depth of several inches with corn. Now, I ain't even going to try to do the math. That's a whole lotta cases of niblets. Does not compute.

Bottom line? We must accept the rulings of the DWR until such time as enough logical lobbying could be done to convince enough decision makers that they should change the rules. Until then, I don't really think corn works much better, if at all, than some of the fancy "bottle baits". It ain't nearly as purty...but it costs a lot less.

We always want what we can't have. If DWR passed a rule against fishing with left handed nightcrawlers tomorrow, there would be a big long thread on every Utah board...except maybe the fly guys' boards. They would gloat a lot.

Like a lot of things in life, you don't have to like it, but you do have to live with it.
[signature]
If digestion was a problem, then I would think that power baits and marshmallows would have been banned years ago.
[signature]
please support your statement with something scientific proving that powerbait or marshmallows hurt fish . . .

or is this something some fly fisherman told ya?

sm
[signature]
Everytime I try powerbait or mallows they start to disolve after a an hour or so in the water. The corn on the other hand....... Lets just say it plugs em up.[blush][sly]
[signature]