Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First tube trip of the year. Fail!!
I went out and it was warm in the air, but the water temp was chilly. I built a new rod holder as wall. I found a new lake I had never been to. No one else was there either. I found out why. It was about a half mile hike from my truck to the lake. I carried my tube down and get everything setup. I dragged it out into the water and got in. Fish finder said it was about 3 ft deep. that was being generous I think. I pushed out a ways to the middle and still the same depth. but now there were weeds too. Since the temp was so cold my tube lost some pressure and my new awesome rod holders were now tipping in and rods were almost smacking me in the face. I kicked around a bit more and depth was the same. Still weeds. So, I went back to where I got in and I got out. Carried everything back to the truck and went on my way. I know now to not bother with that lake again. And to maybe carry some kind of pump while I am out on the water. I hope I can try again soon somewhere else.

Jason
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We all learn about "shrinkage" when we don't check our tubes and top off to the max before launching in cold water. Doesn't take much to drop the pressure and affect your float.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You also need to adjust your rod holders so they slant slightly outwards before you launch and then pull up straight when you sit down...in a fully inflated tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bummer about the fishless trip. Always a good idea to plan your trips around waters you know well or which are showing good success for others. Solitude can be nice but it is even better when you catch a few fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Bummer on the lake, but that is how you find good places as well as eliminate some that are poor.

I usually try to put my tube in first thing so it can cool off to the water temp while I am getting other things ready. Then right before I get in I use a hand pump to top off the tube.
[signature]