Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arctic Graylings?
My dad has been wanting me to take him out for some arctic grayling for some time now. and i was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that an old fisherman with broken knees can get to.
[signature]
It will be a few months before it is open, but Trial Lake may be your best bet for your father to catch one. I understand they aren't really plentiful but there are some in there.
[signature]
Washington Lake (by Trial) has alot of them with fairly easy access.
[signature]
Both kentofnsl and brookieguy1 are correct.

I have caught grayling in both of them. In Trial my best luck for them has come fishing from a boat out in front of where the stream enters on the north side.

Washington may be your best bet from the shore. There is a somewhat shallow bay right near the campground.

The hard part in both lakes will be keeping the trout off long enough to get a grayling.
[signature]
Here is some sites:

http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahfish/grayling.php

http://www.utahoutdoors.com/pages/uintas_round_lake.htm

http://connect2utah.com/roughin-it-story?nxd_id=42408
[signature]
make sure you use a nymph or wet fly no larger than size 14.
[signature]
Thank you all for the responses. our goal is to get a few this summer.
[signature]
IF you don't mind a small hike, some of the best grayling fishing I have done in Utah is in Marjorie lake. It is near the previously mentioned lakes about a mile or two down the Crystal lake trail head.
[signature]
For an older man with bad knees I don't know if Marjorie is the answer.
First 2.5 miles it goes from 10,000 to 10,325 (not bad)
But the drop after you go over the pass might smart 10,325 to 10050 in a quarter mile, definitely a leg burner.
If you want to bounce any trails off me feel free to send me a pm.
[signature]
The other easy spot to reach in the same area is Lost lake. Grayling were super easy to catch in their the last couple years.
[signature]
You can also try China Lake on the North slope, all though it is probably a 100 yd hike down to the lake from the road. We caught a ton on dry flies in the evening there last summer it was a blast.
[signature]
China Lake = China Meadows area? That's over by Bridger and Marsh Lakes, right? I didn't know it had arctic grayling. All those lakes are a nice bike ride between them with really good camping.

Good to know. Thanks.
[signature]
upper stillwater. uinta basin up rock creek walk around on the trail to the inlet easy walk.
[signature]
Yes, China Lake is right there by China meadows and is not a bad hike. We packed the canoe down to the lake and caught Brookies and a bunch of Grayling.
[signature]
I have always picked up a few in the upper reaches of Moon Lake. That is pretty easy from a small boat. They can be found all over that lake, but are not as aggressive as some other species.
[signature]
Never mind
[signature]
Ya just gotta keep showin' off don't ya?
[signature]
Ya she's a show off! But FG are you sure it wasn't that tiger putting up the fight. I've caught a few in the Uinitas as well as in rivers in Alaska and they seemed to be the worst fighting fish for size other than lake trout. Given your warehouse of supplies maybe my you're using an 00 wt rod and my 2 wt is just overkill even for a grayling up to about 16 inches in moving water.
[signature]
Your right.
[signature]
[quote brookieboy]Ya just gotta keep showin' off don't ya?[/quote]
That's got to be one of the dumbest comments I've ever read on this site. And Ive read quite a few.
Showing off- on Big Fish Tackle. Holy $hit! No way!
(and I normally don't stick my nose in FG's business, but this is hilarious, and I just couldn't help myself.)
[signature]