Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers in Bountiful Pond
I was checking the stocking report and it appears they planted Wipers in Bountiful Pond back in March. They were only two inches when planted but in a few years, that will be quite a diverse fishery.
[signature]
I wonder if that is legit. If the report is correct, they only planted 135 @ 3.4" average. With the pressure that place gets, and as aggressive as wipers are. They'll all get caught and killed as soon as they are able to fit a hook in their mouths. It would be awesome to see another Wiper lake in northern Utah, but a community pond is probably not the answer. Lack of forage would be a real problem. Wipers get awfully hungry.
[signature]
Quote:BOUNTIFUL POND DAVIS WIPER 135 3.41" 03/15/2011

Almost 3 1/2". But only 135 of them. Looks like a test. And proof of the benefit of having sterile fish to stock. If they do what they're expected to do, then there might be more in the future. If they don't work out as planned, then there is no risk of having a repeat of Utah Lake's dinky White Bass. If there is the right kind of food in Bountiful Pond for Wipers, look for some dandies in a year or so.
[signature]
What is in the lake to support a population of very hungry fish eaters? Shad? Chub minnows? Polly woggs?
Mis-print or not if they are there they most likely be ate by the larger trout. [shocked]
[signature]
If they manage to survive long enough and they plant a few more, it's the trout I would worry about. I grew up fishing in a lake that had stripers in it, and when they would stock trout the Stripers would be stack up in the marina. It was the best fishing all year, similar to fishing boils. I wonder if anyone has caught one and mistook it for a white bass.
[signature]
It is legit. I was at a meeting with the DWR where they stated that they had put them in there. The biggest problem in Bountiful pond is the birds. I think a few will survive and it will be a great bonus to someone in the future. They will be doing some tests later this summer to see what exactly is in there and in what #'s. It will be cool to see the results when they are released.
[signature]
I think they would get eaten by the other fish first. But if they do survive then it would be great.
[signature]