Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
43 Trout in 2.5 hours Tonight!
It started raining on me at about 6pm tonight, so I quit working and drove over to Skyler's Pond in Logan. I'd gone the other day (where I met Coyote Spinner coincidentally), and had pulled out a few on a couple of different spinners.

Catching a 15" on my first cast with my spinner this evening, I was excited... but then I couldn't get so much as a strike to follow up that auspicious first landing.

So I started digging through my tackle to experiment. I tied on a certain lure I'd purchased last Fall - with which I had zero experience... and next thing I know, I'm catching fish on nearly every cast and watching my lure get mouthed or pulled 5, 6, 7 times on each retrieval!

It was unreal. Like what you fantasize about (well... what I fantasize about, anyway). Fish after fish after fish. From 8" to 15". It was a lotta fun! I wish I'd had my boys with me for that one! I just had to share. Big Grin
[signature]
Theres some lakes in the Uintas that can be like that with brookies and cutts. Makes for a fun day. Good job! 40+ fish is fun for any species[fishin].
[signature]
That is the kind of action I need to get my boys on. I've heard of brookies being thick in some of the running water around the Uintas but I've never had my gear with me when I'm up there. I need to find some "catching" for them soon. They love to catch...fish...not so much. [Image: bobwink.gif][Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
right on, that is like a little over every 3 minutes, isn't it[Wink] That is awesome!
[signature]
Nice report, it is hard to beat a day or evening like that. Are you interested in sharing a pic of the awesome fish catching lure?
WH2
[signature]
Sounds like you had one of the kind of outings I've had there. Suweet. Nice captive audience. Raining is a good time - keeps the crowds away! And a 15 incher out of there? You musta found 'ol grandad!

I just can't bother to count beyond 20. But I hear ya - to cast and EXPECT to get hit every time - that's some fun stuff right there I tell you!

It was nice to meet you the other day. Looked like your boys were pretty into it. My kid gets into the ADD - bored too quick mode. Stands there claiming they won't bite - as I hand him yet another loaded rod time after time... you gotta cast! That's ok - he has fun walking the rails or chasing the geese (until I tell him to cut it out!).

Funny how things change though. I have been on FIRE with a gold or silver Lil'Jake (red dots), with no tipping, just bare. But then after sunset - nothing. Though they hit the surface ALL over - fly time I think!
Another day I tried one of my own spinner rigs - red blade, black dots painted on, couple red beads, red hook, tipped with worm. Slammed every time. But it was pretty well ignored on a previous trip. Go figure.
Pitched some Joe's flies and other spinners - got hits, but not as much enthusiasm.

Tried over at Wellsville pond last night, number of bites, landed one - but really much slower. They seem to school up so tight in Skyler's - what with it being so small, I think the competitive edge drives them to hit more lures.

If it'd quit snowing I might go float Cutler!
[quote flygoddess]right on, that is like a little over every 3 minutes, isn't it[Wink] That is awesome![/quote]

If you subtract the time I wasted up front with the spinner, and then the last 20 minutes where I continued casting, despite it being too dark, it was more like every 2 minutes or so...

[quote wiperhunter2]Are you interested in sharing a pic of the awesome fish catching lure?[/quote]

Only after I've been able to take my boys out to capitalize on the adventure... then, once they've had their fill, I'll let you know. [Wink]

[quote CoyoteSpinner]Tried over at Wellsville pond last night, number of bites, landed one - but really much slower. [/quote]

I took advantage of the storms and went back out this morning with my 5 year old. Pulled 10 out of Skyler before he got bored, then I bribed him with Burger King to go to Wellsville with me and see if my technique would work over there.

It was so windy, I couldn't hardly operate - but I still pulled 5 out in less than half an hour - one of which was almost 17" (though skinny) - I took a terrible pix of it with my phone, and if I can get it off there, I'll post it... and, get this, hooked one so big it popped my 10 lb. test when it started running! Oh, I was Sad about that one. I was under the impression there were no manly trout left in northern Utah.

I'm back home for the moment, but am hoping to return the 5 year old to his mother and sneak back out... maybe even to Mantua? Dunno - just need to take advantage of the days where I don't have to work! [fishin]
[signature]
[quote Pharticus]. . . I bribed him with Burger King to go to Wellsville with me and see if my technique would work over there.

. . . hooked one so big it popped my 10 lb. test . . . I was under the impression there were no manly trout left in northern Utah. [/quote]

Mine went for an Energy Drink - and we were off.

Oh Yeah! - and depending on who you ask - there are no big browns in Jordanelle either....

I beg to differ. Seen some BIG browns come up from the ice at Hyrum (over 5lbers), had some of them break me off right at the hole, but after getting a good look at least!
And have heard tell many bigguns up at the Pig. A real hog was pulled from first dam last spring.

Some of the older ones and Mantua have fought me danged hard before their long-line-releases! Flipping fins!
I haven't really explored around Wellsville's pond much. Usually end up at that dock the scouts built. What part of the lake were you fishing (ok, reservoir!) - if you don't mind my asking.
We were getting rained on off an on pretty well. Doesn't help my flashy lures - no sun to glint in.

I may take a run by Skyler's this afternoon, need some quick tugs! Maybe I'll bring my ice auger just in case!
[quote CoyoteSpinner]I haven't really explored around Wellsville's pond much. Usually end up at that dock the scouts built. What part of the lake were you fishing (ok, reservoir!) - if you don't mind my asking.[/quote]

I hadn't been out there in years, so we just went around the whole thing, stopping in like 5 or 6 spots and throwing 3-4 casts.

I parked at the NW corner near the playground and worked clockwise. Caught one on the north dam, then the biggun on the middle of the east, a couple on either side of the bridge...
[signature]
UPDATE:

Spent most of the day fishing. 10 @ Skyler this morning with my boy, then 5 @ Wellsville.

Went back out again, hit Wellsville and caught 6 more.

Drove to Mantua... and got skunked.

Back to Wellsville - 4 more.

Back to Skyler. Arrived there @ 7:52pm and reeled in my 25th (and final) fish at 8:51pm. So 25/hour. Sweet.
[signature]
Okay, I took the boys with me after their soccer games today. Apparently the technique requires a bit more skill than I was willing to admit, because after showing them all what to do, what to watch for, how much to pull, how long to wait, how to watch their line, what depth to fish at...

Well, my oldest got skunked, my second caught 1, and my 3rd caught 1... whereas I continued to pull them out on a routine basis.

It wasn't as fast as the past two days - due, no doubt, as a result of the fact that I think I've caught ever trout in there on it now, and the consistently lower temps...

I'm kinda bummed. I was hoping this would be a big fishapalooza for the boys - and really light a fire under them for this season... but no such luck.

[#008058](On the upside, though, they can now better appreciate what I've been telling them all along: that their father is the king of everything and master of the universe.)[/#008058]

I even ran into another of the forum users while I was there!

[quote wiperhunter2]Are you interested in sharing a pic of the awesome fish catching lure?[/quote]
[#BF0000]
Here you go, prepare to be underwhelmed:
[/#BF0000]

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/...tomic-tube

I know they seem too simplistic to be that effective, but a free falling tube spiraling down with the occasional twitch is apparently something they haven't the willpower to resist. It's like pizza at a Weight Watchers meeting.

Brighter colors did better. When I turned to a more natural, subdued hue - they continued to strike like crazy - but wouldn't actually clamp down so I could hook up.

Also, polarized glasses and being able to actually watch them mouth the lure makes all the difference in the world.

[fishin] Happy fishin'!
[signature]
Yeah you had that down pat! I didn't stay much longer after you left, caught a few but nothing like you were. DId manage to catch that bigger albino again.
[signature]
nice fishing man i still need to take my nephews out there to wet a fly, been meaning to but havnt got around to it yet
[signature]