Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downriger cable hum affects my fish finder
For some reason the hum coming from my downrigger cables is screwing with my fish finder. It makes it all freeze up and not update depth. Is this a problem of resonance of the transducer or just interference of nearby cables?
[signature]
I'm not an expert by any means and I've never heard of downrigger cable interference like you describe. If you're certain that is the problem though, you might switch the downriggers to kevlar line that isn't electrically conductive. It's also thinner in diameter so the cable doesn't drag back as far.

I hope you figure it out.
[signature]
It is not very likely the cable is causing your problem but the I agree with Nate changing you cable to a braided line will take care of the hum. I have a problem like yours when using my downriggers but the problem is my finder locking on to the rigger ball rather than the cable causing the problem. It only happens on the side that my transducer is mounted. What is the brand name of your finder?
[signature]
Its Lowrance X96. A few years old but I did change where the wire routed from last year so I am betting that that is the problem. And I noticed the fish finder locking on my bomb instead of the bottom, then it would go haywire and not update anymore.
[signature]
I haven't done it yet but I know Reelfast and a few others have switched their cable for 150 lb braided line.
I guess you had the same fish finder and downriggers and did not have a problem before you moved the transducer wire?
Depending on the boat, some boats do generate a positive or negative charge and there is a way to check for that problem. Some of the guys have bought one of those black boxes that is suppose to fix that problem but I bet changing the cable to braided line would be cheaper.
[signature]
If you rerouted your wire by anything else electrical, there could be a certain amout of interference. If it is truly your dowrigger cable, then change your ping rate to clear up the noise.
[signature]