Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery connection conflict
[#502800]Does anyone run their fishfinder and electric trolling motor off of the same battery and does it cause electrical interference, when running them both at the same time?[/#502800]
[signature]
Yes, and no interference. May I add, I have been doing this for about 8 years now.
[signature]
Yes I run them both with no interference. [cool]
[signature]
Same here. I run both together and no interference.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It also depends on how and where you have your sonar rigged. With my setup it works better to have a small separate battery in my float tube pocket...and the big electric motor battery behind the seat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you do run them both off the same battery be sure to have the inline fuses on each one.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I use to haul a small battery in the pocket, but those little batteries are not that light and they take a little room.
Can I ask why you don't use the motor battery Tube Dude?
I do have an inline fuse for the sonar, but not the motor.

The only time I use the small rechargeables anymore is on waters that don't allow motors (like Tibble).
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The way I have my sonar rigged on the front, with the wires running to the back pocket of my tube, makes it real easy to just drop the battery in and go. It is a small 4 a/h battery with little bulk and weight...and runs my sonar continuously all day with plenty of power left over to run my cordless electric fillet knife at the end of the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline 4.jpg]

[#0000ff]Also, I DO still tube spots that I don't take the electric motor...or the large battery.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short...more options and easy set up...without running a long wire back to the big battery.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Gotcha.
[signature]
I run the motor and the sonar off the same battery and get a ton of interference. But I guess I am different in more ways than one.

If I turn my motor off the sonar works great (I still think it lies to me and tells me there's fish and I don't think there is) but when I try to troll the screen on the sonar goes black off and on all day.
[signature]
Perhaps it's a battery issue where when the motor is running the power dips low enough to cause the screen to do what you're indicating? Just an idea since I don't use a motor on my tube.
[signature]
My sonar will go blank the minute I turn my motor on if my battery is very low.
Might be time for a new battery. Cabela's has a great deal on the AGM right now.
[signature]
[#502800]In-as-much as there is a variety of opinions, I contacted Lowrance and they suggested a separate battery for when the trolling motor is running, (Maybe this is just for Lowrance, I don't know)/[/#502800]
[#502800]I followed Tube Dudes advice and inserted a wooden frame in a side pouch. I left enough room on one end to frame in a battery for the sonar.[/#502800]
[#502800]That makes it closer to the unit and I won't have a rat's nest of wires running all over.[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[#502800]Thanks to all.[/#502800]
[signature]
[quote WaveWolf][#502800]In-as-much as there is a variety of opinions, [b]I contacted Lowrance and they suggested a separate battery for when the trolling motor is running, (Maybe this is just for Lowrance, I don't know)/[/b][/#502800]
[#502800]I followed Tube Dudes advice and inserted a wooden frame in a side pouch. I left enough room on one end to frame in a battery for the sonar.[/#502800]
[#502800]That makes it closer to the unit and I won't have a rat's nest of wires running all over.[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[#502800]Thanks to all.[/#502800][/quote]

Really, well there is another reason I will never own a Lowrance[Wink] Humminbird doesn't mind[Wink]
[signature]
[quote WaveWolf][#502800]In-as-much as there is a variety of opinions, I contacted Lowrance and they suggested a separate battery for when the trolling motor is running, (Maybe this is just for Lowrance, I don't know)/[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[#502800]Thanks to all.[/#502800][/quote]
My Eagle doesn't mind sharing a single battery. Been doing it for years without any interference or problems. I would think if you cut your sonar cable (which I think is shielded) it could cause problems, but if you want to carry two batteries with you, it's your perrogitive. One extra battery at ??? pounds to carry. Plus one extra cable for power to the sonar doesn't quite qualify as a rat's nest of wires.[cool]
[signature]