Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are the animals in EIdaho ?
Saw this reported over at biggamehunt.com. What are you guys seeing over that way? Sometimes these things sound exaggerated:

Quote:
Based on aerial surveys of big-game herds and signals from radio-collared animals, experts are documenting high mortality among offspring of mule deer, white-tailed deer and pronghorn antelope. This comes as big-game animals enter the last stretch of a period from mid-March through early May that is considered critical for survival. Wildlife managers estimate die-offs in the tens of thousands across thousands of square miles that span prairie in northeastern Montana, the upper Snake River basin in Idaho near Yellowstone National Park and the high country of northwestern Wyoming near the exclusive resort of Jackson.
[i]
[/i]

[signature]
I havnt seen or heard anything but if it is right that really sucks. It seems like right when the herds start doing good somthing like this wipes them out again.
[signature]
Here's an F&G report on the matter. The guy's report above is accurate but over exaggerated, kinda like a used car salesman. [:p] I'm not too worried, and the Idaho F&G has done a good job monitoring the mulies IMHO. Just wait to put in for your tags till after you've read this report.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releas...ewsID=5843
[signature]
A F&G officer told us the deer were 80%-90% fawns killed this year during winter. I don't remember the number on does. I also heard from him that the elk would be fine becuase they hadn't calved yet.
[signature]
i spend lots of time in the hills during spring every year looking for sheds and this year the number of dead elk and deer the dog and i have come across is crazy. wolverine area had lots of dead animals but the moore area was littered with elk and deer bodies. mostly fawns and calves but lots of cows and does. i covered only two drainages in moore hills and seen 6 dead elk and at least 10 dead deer. thousands? no way, but the numbers are high.
[signature]
ive been following this one herd since march and have scene many others crossing paths and they all have been looking super healthy! here is a pic of a couple does i took just yesterday on my outing to watch the herd
[signature]
Yeah, I think if the animals survived pretty good, then they should have a bountiful Spring/Summer with all of the green forage. I'm not worried about it, judging by some of the reports I'm hearing.
[signature]