Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Cat vs Scadden
Down to the final selection for my newest float tube and I need some input.

Bottom line, I fish mountain lakes a lot so I need/want something lightweight but yet that seats me out of the water as much as possible so I don't freeze my arse off. I have a smaller v-tube (too lightweight and very low in the water) and a pontoon (way too big to put on an ATV or hike into a lake for 1/4 mile). I use a bass boat on the big water, so we're talking pretty smallish lakes.

My first choice is the Scadden Outlaw Escape. Fits the bill and weighs in around 22 lbs. Maybe too heavy to lug for 1/2 mile, but I could hack it for a few hundred yards.

Then I saw a Outcast Super Fat Cat. It says "out of the water seating" and weighs in at only 12 lbs.

So question is how "out of the water" is it and how does it compare seating-wise to the other Fat Cats and the Scadden tube/toons?

Any other considerations, suggestions?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks!!
[signature]
I can tell you that you are out of the water with an Escape, but unless they did some major changes to the SFC you sit ON the water, not out. But that also depends on your weight. I was out of the water with my SFC on glass smooth water, and not moving.
The Escape, the bottom of the inflatable seat is out of the water. Now a good wave can put a little in the seat, I guess. Can't say as it did when I used it, again, depends on weight. I do think the bigger you are, the more it will effect the SFC, and probably very little on the Escape.
I have had both. I liked the storage area behind the seat on the SFC. If this is not an issue then the Escape is great. The Escape does have HUGE bags. Plus, you can row if the wind kicks in hard and heavy.
Depending on your size, you will row with bend legs. And try to slide the side bags back as far as you can so you don't clip them when rowing.

Put the foot bar on and hoist it to your shoulders and it really is easy to haul long distances.
I was able to go up and down a hill with my Renegade on my shoulders, and it is 3' longer and a few pounds heavier.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not qualified to rate the Escape. But I have done a lot of floating on the SFC. A good tube but not a good pack-in candidate. If they still make them look at the Outcast Trinity. Lightweight...and you sacrifice some heavy quality components. But a good weight rating for the pack weight of the tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I doubt you will find anything "packworthy" that will keep your butt dry. Think superlightwaders and a couple of dry layers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have an ODC420L rigged so it keeps my arse completely out of water, and it is a great tube with low weight of 6#. The trick was to get the inflatable seat bottom up to maximum pressure and use a cut out section of 1.5" closed cell from a scrap pool cushion to raise the level. I sit about 5" out of water and normally stay completely dry. Even if large waves or spray gets in, the droplets run immediately off the coated sealed skin of the cushion, so you don't stay in contact with moisture. It can go anywhere I've had to pack and doesn't have to go thru the complete inflation/deflation cycle- fits in the back of my Prius with only the bottom seat deflated and all other chambers including the seat back inflated. But it may not work for big guys, I am 180# + about 15#+ for gear.

Pon
[signature]
Since I have or have had all three tubes we are talking about I will tell you my opinion. The scadden escape is by far my tube of choice. You sit almost all they way out of the water and can row just like a pontoon but in a portable package that can be inflated. You can get the motor mount and rear decking and have a motor but it is a little tight for that. I have packed my scadden with some modified backpack straps. It can ride on the front rack of a wheeler with no problem. But it is not the tube for hiking in several miles. I have a fish cat deluxe for hiking in with the inflatable seat. I have a backpack that I stuff it and my gear in and hike in to lakes with. I like it a ton more than the ODC tube because it has the valves sewn into the fabric compared to the ODC tube you have to line them up. To many time pumping up then twisting deflating was frustrating. But you can get the ODC cheap on e-bay and it is light to pack in. So if you can afford it do both. If not you will have to decide what you do more of hike in fishing or drive to ride up to fishing. I will be out at vernon reservoir camping this weekend shoot me a PM today if you are interested you can come out and kick both around and see what you prefer.
[signature]
Because of weight and bulk, I don't see how the otherwise top notch 22# scadden would be a candidate for packing more than very short distances, say several hundred yards of unchallenging pathway. The 14# deluxe is a good tube which could be packed a little further, but you will have to add waders to keep dry and it doesn't have the load capacity of the scadden. That leaves the 8# ODC and 6# Trinity which can go the limit of packing distance and rough terrain but neither has the bottom coatings for protection.

BTW, the tube arrangement of the ODC can be an asset, depending on what your preferences are. For example, the valves are accessible to top off the tube on the fly, in case of small leaks or cold water shrinkage in the middle of the lake. The tubes can be more rapidly repaired or exchanged out with spares since the valves are not sewn in. I have 4 ODCs which came with the inner tube aligned and pretty much stay that way when I fold accordingly. You can mark the zipper line with permanent marker to speed the process should you decide to remove the inner tubes for packing, or if there is some shifting. The first time installing a NEW inner tube on the ODC will be the most difficult, but talcum powder or liquid detergent can help with untwisting.

JMHO.

Pon
[signature]
Well, he hasn't come back yet, but I do know, the person he is talking about is about 6'4" and around 300 lbs. I don't see a battery and motor on the Escape for him. They do plan on ATVing it in and yes, the Escape can pack in small enough no worries.
[signature]