Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'lard 05/07
Well, after three concurrent trips of skunk, Rick and I were able to finally leave the water with our egos inflated instead of our tails between our legs.
We launched from the North marina at about 9ish. Nice day! No w***, slightly overcast.
We hit the dike in the light pole area first pitching jigs and lipless cranks. Hooked up with a wiper, but didn't get a good enough hookset. He stuck around long enough for me to say "fish on!" And peel some drag.
that fish taco is still swimming.
The wipers were just cruisng the shallow shoreline in schools that would make the gorton fisherman sweat. We tossed everything at them, but they weren't actively feeding. We watched a couple move our baits out of the way. All those fish did make quite the site to see. Water temp was about 55.
Decided to drag bottom bouncers by the feedlot. Brought a nice eye to the boat, about 24," he popped off when the net made its first appearance.
bye, taco!
bottom bouncing gets old quick. Went to the west dike. Water temp was 57. All we saw in that deeper water were the brassy bugelmouthed behemoths of the deep.
went back to our first spot and pitched jigs. FINALLY with reward!
A smallish smallmouth, and two nice wipers by Rick (bigfish22 on here ). Biggest was almost five lbs with the other a little a little over four. Had a couple come off and missed a couple more. Bite was turning on around three, three thirty, but responsibilities aren't on fish time[Sad]
it was a great day with my best friend!
The wiper activity has me wondering.....do wipers go through a false spawn?
Josh

*edit* added pics
[signature]
I have wondered the same thing about the wipers imitating a spawn. Nice to hear I'm not the only one. Anyone have a theory on that or know any specifics?
[signature]
Sounds the same as we saw yesterday and yes the wipers go through a false spawn. I have seen two of them in shallow water at the inlet area going through the motions of spawning[shocked]. Good to hear the wipers you caught were in good shape, they are some fat fish this year.
[signature]
I have some pics, but my droid is not cooperating. I will post them tomorrow when I get to work.
They were healthy, and we saw a number of larger fish schooling around.
they were about 20' off shore in some more graveled area.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Wipers are (mostly) sterile hybrids. They develop into both males and females...not sexless hybrids like some. As such, they DO develop eggs and milt and go through a spawning ritual. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Interestingly, either gender can spawn with an adult of either parent species...white bass or striped bass...and at least some of the eggs will be fertile. There are even recorded cases of fertile eggs being produced by wiper to wiper spawning. However, the hatchlings are usually very weak and do not survive long enough to become big adults.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So it is a good news - bad news thing with wipers. They show up along the shoreline for fishermen in the spring...but they do not take over the lake with overpopulation. That's why they are popular with DWR...they are both a good measure of control on overabundant prey species but can be managed by controlled plantings.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The 'lard! Har har!
Da Creek = Deer Creek
Da Lake = Utah Lake
Da Neil = Jordenelle
The Starv = Starvation

Whatever[:p]
[signature]
The Lard ?? never heard that one.. Funny
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
[cool][#0000ff]Coulda been "The Willy".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
"Bye taco." [laugh]

Those couple of wipers were piggies. Nice work! I've got a Willard monkey on my back and I'm tempted to get up there soon.

Cool info about the spawning.
[signature]
i think " the willy " sounds better lol[laugh][laugh]
[signature]