Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Lake Ice
Any idea if the ice will be off by opening day?
[signature]
I have no idea, but that is the question we are all asking. If we were an off shore site we could start betting on it.[Wink]

Windriver
[signature]
It's starting to get close and I'm trying to decide if the Memorial Day tradition will continue or if I need to look for warmer locations this year. Somehow when you're 250 miles away it's hard to drive by and check.. If anyone sees things loosen up I'd appreciate the info... Or if its safe to ice fish that could be a first as well...Thanks
[signature]
I sure hope its still iced over, but not safe enough to ice fish[Wink]
[signature]
[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

I fear the edges end up ice free..[mad] Then the Combat fishing at it's finest. I bet Damon is glad he moved on.[cool][Wink]
[signature]
Guessing there is going to be some ice unless we get hot.....

Buddies are riding sleds up there today and reporting 2 feet of new snow above 7k feet
[signature]
I wouldn't mind it not clearing off until about Wednesday following Memorial day. That way the fish don't end up w/ as much of a slaughter fest from unethical people, but there is still a good chance at a nice sized fish from shore.
[signature]
I think the ice will be off . If fish and game know about the problem with snagging and keeping over limits why don't they have more fish cops watching for violations . I know they are short handed but it seams like some other areas could go with less coverage during this period . Just my 2 cents . Or don't open the lake to fishing until June 15 . Curt G.
[signature]
I like that last idea Curt, but what do we know...LOL
[signature]
[quote Everet14]I sure hope its still iced over, but not safe enough to ice fish[Wink][/quote] Haha +1 EV!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

I fear the edges end up ice free..[mad] Then the Combat fishing at it's finest. I bet Damon is glad he moved on.[cool][Wink][/quote] Damon moved on? Nowhere better than Henry's in Idaho. Where'd he go?
[signature]
I'm looking forward to fishing the opener. I hope the ice melts so we can put the boat in. This will be the first time fishing Henry's. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Travis
[signature]
In the 20+ years of fishing there on opening weekend there has not been any ice that I saw including in the outlet. There has been ice covering the lake the weekend before opening day a couple of times, and several times two weeks prior to opening day.
[signature]
This is not going to be a very good year to judge Henry's by... It has some of the prettiest fish I've ever seen and they hit like a freight train. You usually get a narrow window in the spring and fall when the weeds are down enough to troll.. The rest of the year fly fishing can really rock.. The comments on poor sportsmanship I believe are referring to the gauntlet over by the fish hatchery near Wild Rose.. The fish come in there to spawn and so armies camp just outside the posted zone to try for the monster spawners shoulder to shoulder sort of reminds a guy of Alaska on the Salmon run or steelheading on the peak weekend.. Anyway I watched a master fly fisherman up there the year I started fly fishing again. He stood between 20 guys and caught a monster every other cast while everyone else couldn't hook up. I wish I could have been taught by the master but it was great to watch people cast where he was fishing and draw a blank and he would take their spot and go on catching fish. Anyway you most likely want to know which areas are best.. I'd recommend to just follow the groups of boats. There are three boat ramps. I like the south marina but I usually fish by Wild Rose or Stahles... Watch out for wind on that lake I've never seen anywhere like it for waves getting so big so fast... If it starts blowing move to safe areas fast.
[signature]
Word from an aquantance that was up there yesterday was there is still 2 feet of snow on top of the ice.
[signature]
And knowing what lure helps. [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks that sounds pretty iffy for wet stuff by opening day.. And like the Flygoddess mentioned lure selection is key and I usually spend all day trying to figure that one out... Last trip they liked a purple wolly bugger trolled slow, but pop gear usually fools a few. Now if you want the big pigs I hear you can't beat garden hackle... But I like to troll so I'm usually happy with 5 pounders that I usually return anyway.
[signature]
I know what you're saying, I've fished most openers since the early 80's and I think we might see something different this year. It's not a lot of fun for kids to freeze fishing all day so I may try something different this year. Hate to miss it because farming gets too busy to sneak away for most of the rest of the summer.
[signature]
57 today in Island Park, the word from a rancher friend at Duck Creek is lots of snow still on the ground and the lake still covered with ice and snow. With 15 or so days left it's going to be close. We are going to have weather in the high 70's today and the rest of the week in Idaho Falls. If the ice does come off in time it's going to be packed with fish and combat fisherman. Might be one of the few times I stay away from the opening weekend.Add in the fact the Southfork and Northfork will be high and fast it might just draw more people to Henry's. I have mixed feelings, just wish people we're more educated towards good fishing practices and lose the snag and bag mentality.
[signature]
Thanks for the update on the weather. What is the deal on the snagging I guess I'm always naive but I haven't ever even heard of it at Henrys. I assume it must be on the spawners around the hatchery since that is the only place I've seen fish thick enough that you could have a chance at snagging one. Guess I don't understand it because I go fishing for the thrill of the hit and hook set. It would be such a waste of a great fish to snag one of those beauties. Guess I'm getting older but I enjoy the catching a lot more than the eating.
[signature]