Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Greenhorn
Okay I can't stand it anymore! I'm going to try Willard for the first time tomorrow... Is anyone willing to offer some tips on where I should try and what I should use? I will be in a boat hoping to troll for wiper.. I don't have a downrigger but picked up some 3-way swivels and weights to get me down to depth. I was figuring on launching from the north marina. Thank you...
[signature]
You wont need a downrigger at willard bay and probably wont need the weights either. Willard is pretty shallow. Troll any of the rattling shad imitations in popular colors (Blue, Green and silver) Troll slowly 1.2 to 1.6 mph. GPS.
for willard a side planer would be a better investment than a downrigger. Getting the lure out away from the boat and wake helps a lot. You can use deepr diving lures if you think you need to go deeper but usually any lure that dives 4 to 6 feet will work. Try fishing along the north dike and around the light pole area. Freeway bay and the area by the feelot can also be good. Tube Dude recently posted a map of willard bay with all these areas identified. Be sure your drag isnt set too tight, wipers can hit like a train and if you have light line and a tight drag you will be buying a lot of new lures. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck and post a report.
[signature]

I'll be out there around 8-8:30 or so hittin the crappie again in the N. marina. If you’re in the mood for slabs I can show ya what I’ve been going well on. You’ll also pick up a few wipes, that’s a hoot on the ultra-light.[laugh] [font "Calibri"]Look for a green and white Mariah ski/fish. Me and the old hound dog would be more than willing to help any way we can.[/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the tips you guys are great on this site. I hope to be able to return the favor someday. I sure look forward to a day in the boat. Hope I'll have a story to tell after it. Thanks again...
[signature]
Thanks for the offer I'll have my father-in-law with me and if the trolling isn't working for us I will come bother you.... I'll be in an old trihull with a 115 merc. Thank you
[signature]
How good is the fishing for cats and crappie from the shore? Was thinking of going there tomorrow or ul but want to get into done cats, bass, and crappie. I will have my son and some rookies with me
[signature]
hey, i'm headed up to willard tonight after work to do a bit of catching i hope. I'll be from shore and probably the north marina, any advice on location and tackle? Looking to catch crappie and wipers if I can. Thanks for anything!
[signature]
1.5" tubes or curly tails in chartreuse, white, and black/char worked last night, although it was fairly slow. 3' under a weighted bobber for casting. I was on the East side of the N marina. Cast out as far as you can and use a very slow retrieve. Most crappie I caught were within5 slow cranks of the cast.

Good luck!
[signature]
thanks man! I'll let you know how I do
[signature]
I will likely be up there this evening as well. Driving a black Chev Silverado 2500HD. If you see me, don't be shy :-)
[signature]
My boy and his bud are bugging for a camping trip. So if I can get my ducks in a row, we should be down there - and all the planets aligned - taking out the new boat for her maiden voyage. 'Fraid the kid don't know how cold the water still is! But we'll bring the tube anyway.

Found some local cats, and hope to repeat finding some Willard kitties, and maybe more. Sounds like the crappie are moving in with the warmer weather? More sunshine on the way!!!
I've heard the feather-tail jigs do well for the crappie, walleye, wipers. Seems like white, chartreuse are magic colors. Also heard tell of adding scent that can seal the deal. But curly tailed plastics put out a whole different vibration. Got some paddle tails that need some thumping too.

I noticed Wallyworld had a new display of jigs and such, much focused on Walleye - but a fair variety of these jigs, different color combos - some with sparkle. Hope to try some out.

Maybe we'll "catch" ya out there!
Nice cat! I soaked a chub minnow yesterday, but didn't get any pick ups.

Marabou can be a game changer out there. Probably the best I have ever done for crappie out there was on a 1/32oz white marabou jig. White head with red or black eye. White flash chenille (sp?) and white marabou with pearl flash tied in. It would have been my 1st choice yesterday, but didn't have time to hit the bench before going.

I have also killed April and May wipers on this.
[signature]
Well we gave it a try but ended up getting skunked. I'm afraid I'm going to have to change my name I thought it was a joke but now it's starting to be true. Four trips in the new boat and I've yet to land a fish. I'm getting worried.
[signature]
What tactics are you using? What species are you targeting?? I would like to help if you need. Shoot me a pm. I am about 20 minutes from the north marina.
[signature]