Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5/15 Oneida and around
Headed out of Poky about 6am today and hit up the narrows. River is running high of course and looks pretty chocolate milk. Was suprised how many people were actually up camping.
I lost my first rainbow at my feet at about 8am or so and immediately hooked up on a brown right after that.
[inline 100MEDIA_IMAG0069.jpg]
Had to walk a bit after that to get into my next fish. Had several hits in between all on a panther martin. Finally hooked up again with a bow.
[inline 100MEDIA_IMAG0070.jpg]
Heard the horn go off at the power plant and the river went up a bit more and had no more luck after that. Decided to go see where the water levels were on the lake and the road conditions. The water levels are way down still and the whole lake looked to be about as murky as the river. Both the dam and the main camp ground have the docks still out of the water and the ground around is pretty soft to be putting a boat in on.
[inline 100MEDIA_IMAG0071.jpg]
[inline 100MEDIA_IMAG0072.jpg]
As far as being able to see any carp in the shallows, I would say its almost impossible. Didnt see any the whole way out heading towards Grace on my way to Alexander.

Tried to fish up some cats for a bit above Alexander at the hospital but by this time it was about 1pm and the winds were blowing like no other. Spent the better part of an hour eating sand and decided that was enough for my day.
[signature]
what is the water like at alexander? last i was there it was really murky!! and has the level raised any? last i was there it was looking more like a river than a reservoir!
[signature]
It is still a river for sure. Pretty much looked like a river all the way over to the bridge they took out. Wafer was dark brown as well. I heard they are saying there is 125% snowpack or something so guess they are expecting tons of run off.
[signature]
alexader was empty as of yesterday bear running low probably holding back at bear lake to get ready for runoff blackfoot res is full heres a pic from the dike friday shoshone falls will be looking good next month
[signature]
Hi. I went to Oneida for the first time today just to scout around. I saw about the same scenario as your pics from last week. Water is still low, and the boat ramp is almost all out of the water. Question: Where do you have trailer parking at Oneida? The signs say it's above the road, but I'm not seeing anyplace for a large number of trucks and trailers to park. Do you just park on the shoulder of the road? Also, is there only the one boat ramp or are there any other ones at Oneida farther up the reservoir??

Pat
[signature]
There is camping access on the river below the dam, as well as campgrounds on the reservoir itself.
[signature]
Yes, it looks like there are plenty of spots above and below the dam to park a car/SUV, but is there just the one concrete boat ramp at the dam (in the above pic.) for unloading boats or is there another one further north upriver on the reservoir? It just seemed like there wasn't a lot of parking space for your truck and boat trailer after you got your boat in the water at the dam.
[signature]
Yes only one concrete ramp. They have a gravel one up above the dam called maple grove. As for parking its just a squeeze it in on the sides out of the road kinda game. They talked about a $5 launch fee at maple grove site n with that money adding a concrete ramp. So if your not camping and want to launch at maple grove might wanna keep that in mind.
[signature]
Thanks. That must get a little hairy when there's a lot of boats there at the same time.

I saw the Maple Grove site when I went past there y'day. Is it best to come in from the North to get there or ? That road was a bit on the bumpy side to say the least. I was coming down from Grace and thought turning off at Cleveland would be the shortest/fastest, but the road condition had me thinking otherwise. It would have beaten a boat to death yesterday.
[signature]
Yes I like coming in from the S. May take a little longer but its smoother.
[signature]
typically there are not a whole lot of boats at Oneida, unless you are on a holiday weekend.
[signature]
I guess that's good for the rest of us. It seems like a great place to try. Walleye, Trout, & Catfish, I'd assume, right?
[signature]
It is a beautiful place to fish, but it is also a very difficult place to fish, but very relaxing.
[signature]
Lots of great carp too!!!!
[signature]
There are smallmouth and green sunfish as well.
[signature]
Not sure how many ppl know or remember but I caught a TALAPIA out of oneida last yr. I still wonder how many more are in there.
[signature]
there in my experience over by the hotspring inlet
[signature]
lol mine wasn't over that way, but would not surprise me where they are a warm water fish[sly]
[signature]