Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What actually IS "Float Tube Fishing?"
I saw the forum title and just wanted to check it out, hopefully to find a definition of float tube fishing. Is it when you actually tie a tube to your boat and fish from the tube, while the boat's trolling motor keeps you moving? I know that we have tried that at our lake house, and my kids and nephew have also tied the tube rope to the pier and drifted all the way to the middle of the lake with their gear(My son and nephew caught eight 6+ inch yellow perch combined, and all 3 kids caught a bass of 8 inches or more.) May sound like a stupid question, but I'd like some help.
[signature]
Well, they say a picture is worth a 1000-words, so I've attached a few to give you an idea.

Also keep in mind that this forum's members have a wide range of "inflatables"... tubes of all configurations and what I call "mini-pontoons" too.

Here are a couple of websites for you to check-out too:

http://creekcompany.com/home.php

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/prod...spx?type=9

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/

(And I'm sure there are others as well... but between the above links and the attached pictures, I think you'll get the idea.)

The members of this site are very helpful. If you have further questions, just ask! [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks ydoc! That's pretty cool! Love the concept; it's like your own pontoon. I may have to buy one!
[signature]
You're welcome... BUT, read some of the posts from this forum/archive first. Carefully consider the type of, and location of where you fish. What means do you have to transport your "tube"? Will you need to inflate, deflate, assemble on site, or...?

There are a number of considerations to ponder before you select the one/style that is best for you. Good luck and ask questions! [Smile]
[signature]
Welcome to the forum! As you can see from ydocs pics it is a simple yet fun form of fishing. Great way to get to some spots that you can't get to from shore. I use a pontoon. Pic attached (have since redesigned the motor and rod rack). Pontoons have a little more range than a tube but have the same effect. Lots to choose from out there. Mostly depends upon your personal preference. And as was suggested do your homework prior to purchase so that you have the right outfit for your needs and wants. Nothing like getting the wrong craft and then being disappointed. I have many different craft. 2 toons, my wife uses an outcast FC4, I also have a caddis uboat that I keep in another state for use there, three round tubes that the minnows use.
[inline "pimpedtoon1 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
It is what it sounds like. You can keep it simple or you can add as much as you want, but just remember, it is inflateable and CAN sink.
You have to follow most of the same rules as for a regular boat, with the big one being, ALWAYS have a PFD with you (basically because of what I already posted)
I have several friends, that even put the tubes IN their regular boat then motor out to the spot they want to fish. Anchor down the boat and go over the side into their tubes to fish spots they can get to in just the tube.
You can add motors, but you are required to then license them, same as a regular boat.

You need to decide as already mentioned, do you want hard or soft, do you want to sit in, on or out of the water.....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Still trying to figure it out...after doing whatever it is I do...for over 50 years. [/#0000ff]
[signature]