Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Bass -- SE Utah Lake
I live in Springville and am wondering what the best place for white bass in in my area (Southeast Utah Lake).

With the price of gas, I need to stay close to home.

What do the experts say?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They can be almost anywhere. But I am going to recommend fishing off the ends of the dikes at Lincoln Beach. That is if you are shorebound.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sometimes good around the mouth of the Spanish Fork River but when the fish are in you will have a lot of (unfriendly) company. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also not too far to the Provo Boat Harbor. It is hit or miss but sometimes good fishing all along the outside of the west dike there. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Obviously the success will depend on weather and water temps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the tips. I'm assuming the fishing is better when the weather is warmer?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think the big factor right now is water temperature. If the water is above the preferred spawning (hatching) range of about 65 degrees the whities will spawn in almost any kind of weather. In fact, they like sloppy agitated water because it provides aeration for the eggs. They "free spawn" all over the place. They are not nest builders. So they usually spawn upstream in moving water and let the current carry the eggs downstream during the hatching process. Splashy shorelines often provide "good 'nuff" conditions for the whities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water temperatures have been holding about the low to mid 50's during the cold stormy conditions. But, as I witnessed last Friday, temps can go from 55 to 65 on one warm calm day. The white bass were in the area, and could be caught even before the water warmed. But when the temperature jumped above the 60 degree mark the fish went ballistic...hitting anything you tossed in the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The key is to find the fish and fish them with a bit of finesse until the rising water temps turn them on. Then you can grin a lot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just remember..."You cain't ketch 'em where they ain't." [/#0000ff]
[signature]
This is incredible advice. Thank you so much.

I'm on a pretty tight budget. What are the best lures at the cheapest price?

thanks again
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nothing fancy needed. I use mostly 1 1/2" plastic tube jigs or twisters. Size 1/16 oz. and 1/32 oz. heads. I make and paint my own fancy heads but you can use plain unpainted lead heads.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Best colors are chartreuse (green), yellow, white, pink, orange, black and chartreuse and fire tiger. But again, it really does not matter a lot so much what colors as long as you find the fish and make accurate casts...and keep your lures out of the snags.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Small spinners work very well too. Again, cheap ones in silver or brass both work well. But if you can find some fancy ones for cheap, go for it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whatever you use may get bit more often when the fish are not too active if you add a piece of worm or fish meat on the hooks. When they are really active it doesn't seem to be necessary.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sending you a PM with more info.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That was some amazing information you sent me and will keep me busy for a long time.

Thanks!

Steve
[signature]
[bobhappy]
There are a few people that go crazy and make long posts. I don't often like them at all...usually have a lot to say about nothing. BUT TUBEDUDE is a very rare exception to that rule! He knows his stuff!!!! Listen to him!!
[signature]
Provo boat harbor area should be good if the sun would ever come out. Fish should be both in the harbor and out, when the bite is on, it won't matter what bait or lure you use. Lately rocky shore lines have been producing for us on the nice warm days. I don't waste my time going out when its yucky out.
[signature]
One area that has not been mentioned is the new, recovered, Hobble Creek. DWR and the June Sucker Project spent a great deal of money in rebuilding the last mile or so of Hobble Creek where it goes into the lake. If you are willing to walk the bank, you should be able to nail WB pretty much along that whole area.
[cool][#0000ff]No road access right now.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey carp, the creek I sent you a PM about. There are fifty or so white bass at the head of it right now. You can see them in there if you look close. Some have even made it clear up where the hose is dumping in.
[signature]
I went there today and didn't see a thing. Is this the creek that comes underneath the frontage road? I didn't see any hose.

Was I in the wrong spot?
[signature]