Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Fins Do You Use (For Your Float Tube)?
Just got done reading about the Navigators on another thread... and wonder what fins everybody is using (for their float-tube fishing)?

I've just about tried everything at the low-end ($), but am wondering what else is out there... and if the "bigger price-tag" is warranted for some of the premium models/designs.

OK, me first... [Wink]

I'm currently using your basic sporting goods snorkel fin, the kind with the adjustable strap on the back. The work OK, and have served me well for a couple of years. The only complaint I have with them is that I have to have the strap so tight to keep them from slipping off of my waders, that my toes go to sleep. Of course it doesn't help that I have size 13-14 feet without the additional wader material!

I also have a set of "full-foot" snorkel fins. As I remember they worked well. But, I've outgrown them... One negative about that design was that they COULD slip off of your foot/waders while out in open water (it happened to my wife), and I've had the mud suck them off of my foot when getting out of the ponds I fish! I fixed that flaw by making a small slit in the foot-bed and running a webbed-strap with buckle through it; and buckling that around the instep of my foot. Works GOOD!

I also have some of the "lightweight" strap-on-to-shoes fins. They appear to be just rigid plastic with a canvas heel cup and straps. Although they would seem/appear to be inefficient, they aren't all that bad. While "finning" however, they feel loose on my feet/shoes... there's no way they can come off, but... well, they just feel strange.

I recently bought a pair of the better-quality (Caddis?) strap-on-to-shoe fins. They have a molded heel-strap and with crisscrossed webbing across the instep. Honestly, I've not tried them pending the results of this discussion. I might try them, or take them back for a refund.

In an effort to actually fish "forward", I've also tried the fit-on-your-heel "Paddle Pushers". They DO propel you forward... but are fairly INEFFICIENT - especially if you have some distance to go, or are working against a wind. I've also found them difficult to "maneuver" my tube in tight spots.

I even tried Browning Water Walkers WITH the Paddle Pushers, in an effort to enhance the overall efficiency. IN MY OPINION, the Water Walkers are a JOKE! Do not waste your money!! (And, they didn't work in combination WITH the Paddle Pushers either.)

So what do YOU use?

1) Are the "upscale" fins (i.e. "Force Fins", "Navigators", etc.) really worth the considerable (in some cases) extra money? And if "you" think so, please explain why.

2) Has anybody found a truly functional AND "efficient" forward motion fin? I've seen a couple of intriguing designs, but don't want to plunk down a lot of money, only to be disappointed again (i.e. Water Walkers)!

Thanks in advance... let the discussion(s) begin! [angelic]
[signature]
I started with a pair of force fins, the adjustable model. I used them on my pontoon and thought only good things about them as far as easy of use and performance. The price always ate at me that I had to pay that much as compared to the other common fins sold at the same stores you buy your tube/toons at. Aside from price I don't know that I have much as far as negative to say about them. Maybe that they sink so due to cost make sure you have them securely fastened or that you use some fin saver type of ankle strap too.

I later bought a tube. I still have my toon so I wanted a second set of gear so I can take someone with me on the toon as I ride the tube. I was not interested in paying for another pair of force fins so I started to look at other options. After some suggestions from others I bought a pair of Mares Plana Advanti 3 fins for $39.00 online during some promotional sale. The only negative I can give them is that they are yellow... Wink I've liked these fins as much as the force fins in general. Maybe a slight edge to these fins is that I have more of a balance between the forward and reverse stroke of the leg.

So my summary is that I'm happier with the Mares simply because they were so much cheaper then the Force Fins. Much less buyers remorse after the purchase. Performance wise I think they both do a fine job for what I've used them for.

I guess I should also note I've had the Force Fins for 3 years now and the Mares for nearly 2. Neither has shown any sign of undo wear or indication of poor quality or durability.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I still have a pair of the FishMaster "Paddle pushers" that I bought shortly after buying my first old Fishmaster donut...back in the 70's. Used them once...for about 10 minutes. Kept them as a reminder of what NOT to buy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of folks swear by the Force Fins. Again, I tried a pair for a few minutes and went back to my Mares Plana Avanti dive fins. I have been using them since the early 80's...and am on my second set since then. Still have the first pair too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also have a big foot...size 13 plus. The Mares fins have a big soft foot pocket that lets me get my wader clad feet...with booties and socks...inside the XL fins easily and they stay comfy. In summer I just shorten the easily adjustable straps and I can go with just water shoes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Look through the picture section and archives for pics of other fin types. Then go to Scuba.com and check out what is available. Lots of good buys and closeouts.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds like you use straight neoprene stocking waders with no boots. I use the Browning fins. I also use a pair of wading shoes that fit in the fins. The strap fits over the heel of the shoes and holds tight. Have also had fin tethers at one time which help if fins ever fell off. In the past I had Hoffman wading shoes that zipped on. They wore out so I tried the cabelas flats shoes. They zip up the back. Didn't like those very well so now I have a pair of caddie shoes that are like the Hoffman's and love em. First pair of flippers were the strap on caddie kind now on bottom of strawberry. The Browning fins were my replacement and I have been using them for 16 years now.
[signature]
I have the Caddis "strap on boot" fins. They work ok, but in my opinion they are heavy, inefficient, and a pain to get on.

I also have the backpack fins. I like them as they are lightweight, kick pretty good, and are less of a pain to put on. I use them if packing is an issue, but haven't used them much since I purchased my last fins.

I now have:
[url "http://www.amazon.com/AERIS-Aeris-Mako-Fins/dp/images/B001P4DMNC/ref=dp_image_x_0?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=0&color_name=x"][Image: 41v8W9fC3nL._AA300_.jpg][/url]
[url "http://www.amazon.com/AERIS-Aeris-Mako-Fins/dp/images/B001P4DMNC/ref=dp_image_text_x_0?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=0&color_name=x"]See larger image[/url]

Aeris Mako Fins

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q227TY

Except mine are black and I got them on a good sale. I wear them with a pair of cheap water shoes from Walmart, and I have some fin keeper straps on them. I love them! They fit great and are easy to put on and off. They are amazingly lightweight, and they really move me through the water. My husband frequently asks me if I am "cheating" and using my trolling motor, when it is just me kicking.
[signature]
Thanks for your reply!

[quote Hnaf]

<snip>

... I bought a pair of Mares Plana Advanti 3 fins for $39.00 online during some promotional sale. The only negative I can give them is that they are yellow... Wink I've liked these fins as much as the force fins in general.

I've attached a picture of the cheap-o Body Glove fins I'm using now. In reality, a number of the farm ponds I fish have really clear water... and have wondered if my bright BLUE fins might alert/spook the fish. I've thought about using "plastic" spray paint in camouflage colors (greens, browns, and black), or even just black to mute the color. Have you thought about that for your YELLOW fins? I'd think that even if some of the paint comes off, the mottled "pattern" would be better...??

So my summary is that I'm happier with the Mares simply because they were so much cheaper then the Force Fins. [#FF0000]Much less buyers remorse after the purchase. [/#FF0000]

EXACTLY! And is why I started this thread...
[/quote]
[signature]
Thanks for your reply, TD!! I "lol" at your comment about the Paddle Pushers as being a reminder of what NOT to buy!! [laugh]

[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff] <snip> Used them once...for about 10 minutes. Kept them as a reminder of what NOT to buy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of folks swear by the Force Fins. Again, I tried a pair for a few minutes and went back to my Mares Plana Avanti dive fins.

[#000000]It also looks like there are those that swear by the Mares fins. I'll have to check those out too! [/#000000] [/#0000ff]
[/quote]
[signature]
Thanks for your reply Goddess!

[quote flygoddess]I have the flat plastic with nylon upper "back packing fins" they work.

So that everyone can see the flat-plastic "back-backing" fins that we're talking about, I've attached a picture of them. (And also a pic of the Outcast step-in fins that I have.)

I have had the Browning, to long and heavy. I have been using the Caddis ones that you have for many, many years. I do wear BOOTS however. Can't imagine not. One thing is flippers can and will wear out your waders or boots.

With the OPEN HEEL fins, I can't wear shoes or boots or even booties over my stocking-foot waders. There's just no room in the foot pocket. However, for the fins above - and the "step-in" fins that I referenced in my first post, YES, I do wear "shoes" to protect the waders. Although, they're just cheap-o canvas "sneakers" from Walmart. [Wink]

The plus to the Force Fins I have, I have had them for about 7 years. They have never broke, they don't wear on my boots because of the neoprene on them. Plus, with bad weather, I feel they really scoop and do a great job, BUT, I wear a size 9 in womens so allot of the flipper is exposed. Hubby like TD wears a 13 and very little of the flipper shows.

Yeah, good point... with just about any of the "step-in" style fins, BIG FEET dramatically reduces the amount of exposed fins! Again, I'm not discounting the efficiency or longevity of a quality fin, like the Force Fins... but when it comes to making that decision as to whether to spend (nearly) $200 on a quality fin, or $40 (like the Mares)... it can come down to what the budget can afford.

I have had my Omega's for not quite a year and have already had to replace the clip. Not sure about the wear as I have not had them long enough.
I use Boot foot breathable hippers which are quite expensive so I do worry about wear.

For those of us that are "budget-minded" [Wink], maybe even an old pair of socks would help to protect the wader material? [/quote]
[signature]
Hey Albinotrout, thanks for your reply!

[quote albinotrout]Sounds like you use straight neoprene stocking waders with no boots.

Actually, I have a number of wader types, neoprene, breathable, vinyl, and even an old pair of natural rubber waders - that seem to have mysteriously shrunk! [shocked]

I don't typically wear any type of "boots" when I use open-heel styled fins, but DO wear boots (shoes) when I wear the step-in style flippers.

I use the Browning fins. I also use a pair of wading shoes that fit in the fins. The strap fits over the heel of the shoes and holds tight. <snip> The Browning fins were my replacement and I have been using them for 16 years now.

Could you be a little more specific about the Browning fins that you use? Style, model #, picture? I'd like to check them out...
[/quote]
[signature]
[quote cpierce]I have the Caddis "strap on boot" fins. They work ok, but in my opinion they are heavy, inefficient, and a pain to get on.

Yep, mine are actually the OUTCAST version. I've never worn them, but they ARE heavy!

I also have the backpack fins. I like them as they are lightweight, kick pretty good, and are less of a pain to put on. I use them if packing is an issue, but haven't used them much since I purchased my last fins.

Exactly my thoughts. I was actually surprised how well they DO "kick", but they always felt loose on my foot, no matter how tightly I secured the straps!

I now have:
[url "http://www.amazon.com/AERIS-Aeris-Mako-Fins/dp/images/B001P4DMNC/ref=dp_image_x_0?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=0&color_name=x"][.img]http://ec5.images-amazon.com/images/I/41v8W9fC3nL._AA300_.jpg[/img][/url]
[url "http://www.amazon.com/AERIS-Aeris-Mako-Fins/dp/images/B001P4DMNC/ref=dp_image_text_x_0?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=0&color_name=x"]See larger image[/url]

Aeris Mako Fins

Hmmm... will have to check those out too! [Wink]

[url "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q227TY"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q227TY[/url]

Except mine are black and I got them on a good sale. I wear them with a pair of cheap water shoes from Walmart, and I have some fin keeper straps on them. I love them!

<lol> Yeah, I thought the same as you! I think they also call the "water shoes", "pool shoes"? MY ISSUE is however, size 13/14 FEET, plus wader material, PLUS water/pool shoe... and then try to find a fin with a big enough foot-pocket to stuff "all of that" into it! [crazy] Haven't found such a fin yet! [Wink] I think my best bet might be to just wear an old pair of (dark) socks over the waders to protect them - when using an open-heeled fin.

<snip>
[/quote]
[signature]
Thanks for everybody's responses!! (Keep 'em coming!)

But one observation I've noted so far... no one has recommended or uses a "forward motion" type fin! Does (a good) one even exist?

Paddle Pushers - no, very inefficient and difficult to maneuver tube.

Water Walkers - a JOKE... 'nuff said.

Forward Motion Fins - has anybody ever tried these - picture attached (with any success)?

Are there NO true "forward motion" type fins that work?
[signature]
I see a pair of the Browning fins I use every now and then on ksl.com. the closest that I have seen would be the creek company fins at sportsman's warehouse. For $39.99. I am currently out of town right now so I will see if I can find a pic of them.
[signature]
Thanks... I went to "ksl.com" and that appears to be a "TV station's" site. Right place? Maybe they have a "for sale section" that I'm missing?

In any event, I'm in no real hurry. Send a picture/link when you can. THANKS in advance! [Smile]

[quote albinotrout]I see a pair of the Browning fins I use every now and then on ksl.com. the closest that I have seen would be the creek company fins at sportsman's warehouse. For $39.99. I am currently out of town right now so I will see if I can find a pic of them.[/quote]
[signature]
In one of my posts, I also mentioned a modification I made to a closed-foot style fin to better secure it to my foot. I did this MANY, MANY years ago (before I even had the Internet [crazy]) and knew about fin-tethers. (Pictures attached.)

They actually work pretty good... in a low-tech sort of way! [Wink]
[signature]
Here is a pic with the style of browning fins that I use. This is not my boat but came off the classifieds section of ksl.com.
[Image: gallery1]
[signature]
OK, thanks for the picture! They look similar to the "turbo-thruster" type fins I see on eBay. [Smile]
[signature]
I really like these fins and I can stick a foot with a boot on in them with the strap around the heel and they will not fall off. I need to get a pair for my wife but the closest I can find are the creek company or classic accessories which look very similar.
[url "http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16136&cat=250&page=1"][Image: 350-a-lr.jpg][/url]
Creek company fins
[Image: t_63227.jpg]Classic Accessories fins

These were lifted from their websites. May be the same company that supplies them to each. They run about $39.99.
[signature]
I understand the thought of wanting to go forward. I have hit nice little pool several times and found myself doing circles to stay in that spot.

I never gave much thought to fins that propel forward...could be nice. Just not sure how to achieve both.
[signature]
I bought these in 1995 and they are still going strong. I guess it is all ones opinion and how they all fit that one person.[:p] So many different styles to choose from. Everyones feet are different. I got my wife a pair of swim type fins a couple years ago and the kids have taken them over. They are all over the lakes with them. They are similar to the fins I use but smaller. The boots don't fit in them so they just go with the stocking feet. Wife has boots so she needs the newer and larger pair for her.[Wink] I have never tried the force fins but they look a little short for what I use and how I use them.
[signature]
Goddess,

My desire to want to fish forward has a great deal to do with the type of fishing I do (bass) and where I fish (farm ponds).

I'm usually fishing shoreline structure. "Backwards fishing" means that I have to fish structure I've already passed (risk of spooking the fish), or have to continually "fin & turn" to cast to parallel or "ahead" spots. It's not impossible, and is what I do now... just trying to see if there IS a viable forward-fishing alternative.

As always, thanks for your input!! [Smile]

[quote flygoddess]I understand the thought of wanting to go forward. I have hit nice little pool several times and found myself doing circles to stay in that spot.

I never gave much thought to fins that propel forward...could be nice. Just not sure how to achieve both.

My style of kicking has always been like peddling a bike backwards or maybe described as bouncing a child on your foot. Scooping the water like a spoon in soup.
That is why I think the FLOAT TUBE Force Fins are the best on the market. (there are several models of FF)
This is the way I finned for many many years and still USE it when the weather changes for the worse and a speedy exit or more power to hold a position is required.
This can be very taxing with very long flexible fins (like scuba) Plus allot of these fins are designed for swimming. They can be adapted to tube and even a plus in that you can lean back, flutter your feet like a swimmer and actually move on both the up and down stroke.

But again, a good stiff spoon shaped fin is the ultimate when trying to make a speedy exit.[/quote]
[signature]