Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS conversions
I got two questions regarding GPS units, please. (I have the Garmin etrex Legend HCx.) I know how to put in coordinates manually - but there are different ways the same coordinates can be written. For example, in Google earth the coordinates are listed as:
Lat: 40°19'53.62"N
Lon: 111°45'49.58"W

But, my Garmin would give the same coordinates as this:

Lat: 40°19.818’
Lon: 111°45.875’

1) I’m trying to figure out how to convert the Google coordinates and put it into my Garmin

and,

2) is there a web map of some kind where you can place a marker and then have a "send to GPS" feature (as there is in something like for geocaching)?

thanks in advance! [cool]
[signature]
It is easiest to change how Google Earth shows L&L. Go into tools - options and on the 3d page there are several options on how to show degrees.

It looks like your etrex is set to Degrees, decimal minutes.

Conversely you could change how your gps shows L&L.

Hope this helps!
[signature]
Sounds like it will. I'll have to try what you suggest in Google. I need to have a better idea of what to look for before I can make any changes, so THANKS! [Smile]

Is there a qualitative difference to have one type of conversion displayed compared to another?
[signature]
On the top bar of GE you should see the "Tools" tab. When you open it at the bottom of the list should be "Options". When you open options the choices for Lat and Long is on the first page (3D). Then just choose "Degrees, Decimal Minutes. Click on "Apply" then "OK" and you are done.
[signature]
On which is better --- it is really more of personal preference or if you want to match the format that someone else is using -- such as your gps unit.

I personally prefer either "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" or "Decimal Degrees". They are easier for me to mentally guestimate on a map with.

But I frequently switch the format when I am looking for a point such as a place where a fish survey was done in a report.

I have seen all four of the formats used times many times in different surveys, reports, or even on hiking sites. It is good to know how to switch Google Earth to the different formats.
[signature]
Its very simple to convert Decimal Degree to Degree,Min, Seconds. Just divide the seconds by 60. That will give you the Decimal Degree.

So, for example, if you have
Lat: 40°19'53.62"N
Lon: 111°45'49.58"W

Divide the 53.62 seconds by 60. That will give you .893
So the Lat would be either 40degree, 19.893 minutes.

The difference which is even more important is if you are copying somone else's points (or transferring them to another GPS unit) is to make sure both GPS units are using the same projection. For example, if one GPS unit is using the NAD27 projection and one is in WGS84, even if you have the exact same Lat/Long they will NOT be in the same place since the projection is different. Make sure both of your units are using the same one. The most popular are NAD83 or WGS84, both of which are pretty standard projections. You can find which projection your GPS unit is using by looking under the "set up" menu or something similar.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]The difference which is even more important is if you are copying somone else's points (or transferring them to another GPS unit) is to make sure both GPS units are using the same projection.

You can find which projection your GPS unit is using by looking under the "set up" menu or something similar.[/quote][/size][/#000000][/font]

Having bought my GPS refurbished and it didn't come with a manual, and that up till now I've only marked places I've been - this is all very good info! [Smile]

It was under "units." WGS 84 was what mine was set at. (And boy there were a lot of other options!) And, that's where I found the info on the conversions also. (hddd° mm.mmm)

THANKS!!!!
[signature]