Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down Riggers
Without drilling holes into my boat, can anyone help me solve this problem? I have Cannon Downriggers with Cannon Mounts but the mount doesn't attach securely & when it's levered over the boat with an 8 lb ball on it barely hangs on. I have to constantly tighten and adjust it to keep it in the boat.

To eliminate a few ideas I have tried all kinds of shims, the issue is when it lifts up the shims fall out. I also tried contacting the manufacturer, Cannon Response was:

Quote:Obviously, we cannot have a precise mount for every boat out there, but it is possible that other manufacturers may have a mount that is more suitable to your situation - even though you may to do alterations to make it work - this kind of work is usually done by Marine businesses that set up boats. You want to try googling "downrigger mounts'". If you have anymore questions, i can also be reached at . . . .

Any ideas would be appreciated.
[signature]
Not certain I've ever seen any downriggers mounted without some kind of holes being drilled. What kind of boat is it? I have seen some of the new boats that mount a track along the inside of the cockpit with a mount that fits into the track and sits above the side of the boat but I imagine even those require drilling to attach the track.

Could you provide pictures of the place in the boat you want to mount the riggers to help us out figuring out a solution?
[signature]
Would it help to glue the shims to the mount?
[signature]
Good idea, here's pictures hope this helps. One is without any weight the other shows what happens when you have an 8lb ball hanging over the side.
[signature]
Funny sometimes we get so caught up in a project that we forget about the "obvious solutions." Glue did not even cross my mind. I'm not sure glue will work, but it was refreshing to have a new idea. I included pictures in a post above so you can see what's going on.
[signature]
Well the pictures certainly helped and glue just might enter into the solution yet. My suggestion if you have some wood scraps available, would be to make a small block that fits the shape of the side of the boat under the rail and a face that comes up against the inside of the aluminum rail. Then the clamp face (the circle part) could clamp against the wood block and force the block against the side of the boat.

I don't know if I have explained that clearly enough but basically condider a shape under the rail with a face that the clamp can screw tight against.
[signature]
I think that Nate has a good solution there. It would give you a much larger surface area to clamp on to and it should be more solid also.

Somewhere in posting this lost the last lines so I will edit them back in.

You might try a piece of wood on the outside of the hull. If it is stiffer, then maybe you won't get the tipping.
[signature]
Tell me if I am understanding you correctly. So it would look like a chair or the shape of a lowercase d, right?
[signature]
[quote JiggyJus10]Good idea, here's pictures hope this helps. One is without any weight the other shows what happens when you have an 8lb ball hanging over the side.[/quote]

quick question do you have a wleder or access to a welding shop? you could build a mount from regular "c" clamps with with a plate welded inbetween two of them and maybe mount a board to the the metal plate to thicken it up. cause it seem you need a deeper throat on the clamp for your style grab rails. i got a welder i would just hate to have to buy them and buy the wrong ones may not be deep or wide enough the clamps are about $10-$20 each maetal plate $5-$10 bucks welding would be reg shop rates. the problem with that mount is it not deep enough to get below the grab rail. so you may have to manufacture a mount for the mount. wich sucks but true try a ten or 20 pound cannon ball would rip it in ther river the way it stands. vspeaking of ripping stuff out we have indian nets up here in the gl tribs for white fish / suckers etc... i have heard of boats sinking from hitting them with the down rigger balls catching on it and pulling the back of the vesel under. so stay safe and be carefull out there guys.
[signature]
Justin, that describes pretty accurately, yes.
[signature]