Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIsh in Mona Reservoir
I've got a question for anyone that knows: Are there any fish in Mona Reservoir? If so, can you fish it and what species are there? I've never heard of anyone fishing there, but it is a pretty good size water and I wondered, especially since I will be camping at Burraston Ponds just like a mile away from Mona Res. on Sept. 26,27 with my scouts, so I was wondering if there is any fishing there. Also, what species are in Burraston Ponds? Is it similar to the other "urban" fisheries like Bountiful Pond, Spring Lake, etc.?
[signature]
Mona Reservoir will have carp and maybe a few catfish. Many moons ago they planted wipers in there, but the water was drawn down and most if not all of them went through the dam. Burraston Ponds consists of several ponds that are usually good for planter trout. There used to be some chubs in there also, but not sure if they got rid of them.
[signature]
Thanks Kent! I guess I'll need to bring the dough balls then. Maybe I'll just fish for some carp or something. I don't particularly care for the planter rainbows. They're just so ugly with their pectoral and anal fins rubbed down to stubs from being in those dang cement runways at the hatcheries.
[signature]
Mona res. is about all dry burraston ponds will offer better fishing. Worms and bobber always can catch the planter trout there and an occasional albino. I live in nephi i can stop by there tommorow after work and give you a bettter report.
[signature]
Thanks ocean I'd really appreciate it!! I guess Mona gets drawn down really low every year for irrigation, making it hard to keep a good population of anything living in there.
[signature]
Hey sorry i have not got back to you earlier just a little busy. Went to burrastons today and the water a little low but very fishable. The trout were jumping all over and saw some carp too. There was one old guy fishing and he caught a couple in the time i was there . They were about 8 inchers . Burrastons usually gets stocked right before a big holiday so there might be quite a few in there left.
[signature]
hey thanks a lot ocean! I think I might just take my fly rod out there and see if I can get a few trout with it. I'll bring along some bread for the carp too. Is there good area that I could flyfish from the bank, or wade in a little bit or something? Or should I bring out my tube?
[signature]
you could do all 3 there are some open areas for flyfishing and tubing and wading
[signature]
Cool thanks again ocean. I think I'll bring my waders then and not my tube. Got to keep an eye on the scouts. [cool]
[signature]
How many scouts coming with you and for how any days?
[signature]
There are also chubs in there. A neighbor of mine grew up in Mona and fished there a lot throughout his life. During the depression he and his family were happy to eat the chubs. Several years ago he took my dad fishing there. On his first cast my dad caught a trout about 18 inches long. But I think there aren't many trout in there.

m
[signature]
We only have 3, possibly 4 scouts going, plus 2 or 3 leaders. We're going to have a meager scout troop after November. 3 of them leave to go to 14-15 yr old, varsity scouts, and we'll be left with just 1! [crazy]
[signature]
CatMan,

I am taking my scouts to Burstains this weekend. I will let you know how the fishing is when we get back. We usually fish on the dike that divides the pond. The lake is full of chubs, trout, carp and bluegill. There is also lots of crawdads. The best bait is usually worms and powerbait.

I fished there 2 weeks ago with the family and my little girl(5) caught a big 18" spawner that the planted from the hatchery. Most of the spawners they plant in there. We also caught a few smaller trout and some of everything else.

Kidsnme
[signature]