Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yankee Meadows Res.
Does anyone know if the ice is off Yankee Meadows Reservoir and if the bridge into YMR is open yet? If the bridge is not ready yet, is there another way to get in there?
[signature]
I haven't personally been to the reservoir, but the ice is completely off of panguitch, so I'm sure it's off there. However, i drove past the road to Yankee yesterday and it was still closed.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I was just wondering if there was only one way in and out or if there was an alternative road I could use while they were fixing the main road.
[signature]
[quote Dixie National Forest]
Bowery Creek Bridge Closure
Release Date: Mar 9, 2011
Contact(s): [url "mailto:ccall@fs.fed.us"]Kenton Call: 435-865-3730[/url]

IRON COUNTY, Utah – The Bowery Creek Road will be closed starting today until May 25th for bridge replacement work. The bridge has been found structurally deficient and unsafe. It cannot safely support vehicles and to ensure public safety the bridge needs to be replaced.
“This temporary closure will be an inconvenience to the public. However, the new bridge and improved road will make travel into the area not only safer but more enjoyable,” said Veronica Magnuson, Cedar City District Ranger.
Bowery Creek Road (Forest Road 30049, Highway 143 to Yankee Meadow Reservoir) also has safety deficiencies in width, pullouts, alignment and drainage to provide for safe two-lane travel. Replacing the bridge and road improvements will provide for public safety for visitors using the Bowery Creek and Yankee Meadows area.
“Public safety is my number one concern,” said Veronica Magnuson, Cedar City District Ranger.
Alternate access to the Yankee Meadow Reservoir will be via Forest Road 048 (FR048), which is located on State Highway 143 approximately 0.2 miles south of the Bowery Creek Road. Currently this road is closed due to winter snow. Please be advised the road is very rough and is intended for high clearance vehicles only.
The bridge was originally built in 1935 by the CCC boys of camp F16, which was located in Duck Creek.
For more information, call the Cedar City Ranger District at (435) 865-3700.[/quote]
[url "http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/%21ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQoY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg%21/?ss=110407&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=STELPRDB5286996&navid=180000000000000&pnavid=null&position=News&ttype=detail&pname=Dixie%20National%20Forest-%20News%20&%20Events"]http://www.fs.usda.gov/...%20News%20&%20Events[/url]

use "second left-hand" (road 048 mentioned above), and drop in from above the lake. (the main road to Yankee is "first left-hand"). I can't tell you for sure if the road is currently passable or not. I'd contact the southern region DWR, or the DNF and find out.
[signature]
Thanks again for the information.
[signature]
Second left hand is a rough narrow road. It will be tough to pass if it is open. Grew up in Parowan and it used to be in much nicer shape. Rough to make the full trek now.
[signature]
I think I'll just wait a few more weeks to fish YMR when the main road is completed.
[signature]