Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Spring" Cattin' 5/22
Missed out on Saturday's fair weather, so made certain to hit the marsh for a while Sunday.
After a promisingly sunny morning, I arrived before noon as the skies darkened and the wind had picked up. Watched a pair of canoes skedaddle off the water (sensibly) as I prepped for launch (not so sensibly).
Just as I pushed off the drops started. Decided I'd best reload the boat, and see if it blows over. Fished from shore for a while shielded from the pelting rain by a tree. Not a titch. Cold, wet, wind - drove me home.

Of course a few hours later things had picked up. Sky cracked open a few clouds, and the sun came back to play. So - grabbed the cooler, and went for it again. It was probably 4:30 when I headed out. A few scattered clouds came to play, but the water was glass (after the earlier white-caps! Nice change). Dragged over to one of my spots, and it was quickly on. Bobbers disappearing, rod tips bouncing as line strips out.
Got a hookset into a lump. Determined not the be the "Fisherman who breaks lines" - I played the drag. Let him run, and he did - around the boat, changing directions, tried to keep him from going under. Spooked by the net - worked it till I got 'em landed! Was trying to get a second line in, as I got the hook out. Nice - right in the corner of the lip. Smile pretty - kiss-ably slimy! 22 inches and 5 pounds of chubby kitty.

Then another rod goes, and the game's on again. Smaller cat, but big fight! Had a number of pop-drops and missed a few takes, but my knots held! Plus after thumping and bumping around with some snags, I think I spooked out the spot. As it was getting onto dark, started heading back - pitched some reeds, but still can't get the crappie or bass to play ball.

After loading up - I'd put a rod in a holder while I packed. It was bobbing. Got to toying around with some mud-bellies. As the marsh birds sang and squawked, and the frog chorus was in full ruckus - I just sat and pulled in probably 20 of them mudders in the next hour. Nothing of size (4-8inchers), but fun hooksets. Hoping to meet up with that one last channel passing by, or the stray Walleye, alas. Fun tugs all the same.
Great post. Loved the sunset pics. Glad you were able to get out for a few.
[signature]
Thanks bud. We need to get out there after this latest storm moves past! Should be in for a good weekend. Gotta get Lunker on the water!

Maybe your boy should join our "bet" - sounds like he got onto a nice one Sat - 2 footer! Schwing!

Felt bad for this Crane (thanks [blush]). Had passed her nest a few weeks back. Can't really tell from the sunset pic, but her "island" is pretty well gone now. Probably some phat cat or muskrat will enjoy those eggs.

Not sure how the rubber chicken got into the nest, but kinda funny all the same! Maybe it was adopted.
(I'm no ornithologist, though I was a biologist in another life)
nice fish if this weather ever breaks ill get again
what is this bet you guys talk about maybe i want to join in on the fun lol
[signature]
Biggest cat caught/measured - winner gets lunch - at the losers expense, losers eat carp!
(ok - I added that. Offered to smoke the beast even)

Planning to put some time toward the competition this weekend!
I believe that is a crane.....
[signature]