Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do walleye like?
does any one know if jigging a plastic worm near the bottom or just reeling it in or are lures more effective with walleye? any other suggestions would be gladly appreciated...[Wink]
[signature]
I've never figured the out. I've caught them on just about everything usually while fihing for other species. Caught some dandies on spinerbaits while bass fishing. Probably caught more drowning a worm than anything. I think it's more a matter of being where they are vs the bait or lure.

Honestly I can't figure out what's so exciting about them other than they taste great. They fight like crap! I think it must be the novelty and challenge of finding them.
[signature]
I have never fought crap before to know how it fights, but Walleye do taste good and are fun to hunt....

Jig tipped w/ worm, bottom bouncers, and plugs are what have worked for me.
[signature]
Pretty much anything that swims. Jigs, cranks and worm harness jewelry. As TD stated in his last post.....in lakes like UL they are caught using the same stuff fished for WB or other fish, that is how I have caught most of mine.
[signature]
What I've been taught by an unbenounced BFTer, use a tandem rig (on a 3 way swivel), one leader longer than the other with a lighter (in weight) jig on the shorter leader. Use 3" dark body grubs with a chartreuse tail, the fatter the tail, the more action. Cast out, and reel in, no jigging involved. The fat tail should give enough vibration to cause a strike. By using the tandem rig, you're covering two different layers in the water, the bottom (bouncing off the rocks), and about a foot to foot and a half above the floor. Can't say that I've caught any yet this way without snagging them, but apparently this is one way to catch walley.

Maybe a little Berkly juice sprayed on the jigs to mask human scent can help too, though this is probably up for debate. But I'll try anything if that means catching fish.[Wink]
[signature]
Not a real secret, but big (8 inches or longer) and skinny, and white and black. Any lure like that will keep the white bass and the small cats off your line. And it should keep the Walleye on at Utah lake.
[signature]
So.... Since ive accidently caught tiger musky while bass fishing they must be easy too huh? Just because you catch a couple of any pariticular species by accident doesnt make them an easy fish to catch. When walleye have the feed bag on just about any technique can catch them. But I have also seen them ignore every technique in the book when just about every other species is active. I have watched on my camera walleye ignore a crawler 1 inch from their nose while smallmouth, trout and perch are coming out of nowhere and pounding it. If you want a fight, then go catch wiper or smallie on an ultralight rod with 4 pound test. If you want a challenge, then try to catch walleye on a consistant basis. Not just when theyre reported good or on a hot bite. I can find them 90% of the time, getting them to eat is a different story.
[signature]
I take it you have a thing for walleys. :-)

That's cool. I understand different strokes for different folks. I don't know anyone that consistently catches them. I guess that's the challenge, cause they fight like CRAP LOL ;-)

Good luck. I like catching them all-even carp and bullheads...
[signature]
They dont fight like crap. The best I have heard it described is "like a wet noodle"[Wink]. Nothin wrong with catchin bullheads and carp if thats your thing.
[signature]
Has anyone been doing good at deer creek yet? A buddy caught a big one last year on a little pink tripple teaser fishing for planters. Bout the only thing I've never caught one on is power bait and a dry fly.
[signature]
If you're headed to Powell I caught several last week on either white or chartruse booyah spinnerbaits from the shore around bullfrog.
[signature]
Walleye like it when I leave.

Or before I get there....
[signature]
Walleye love it when I show up[blush]
[signature]
[center][crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy] what's a Walleye? [crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy]
[/center]

(I hope to answer THAT for myself THIS year! [Wink]
Was windy enough for 'em today - THAT's for sure!!!)
Guess they're pretty well done spawning for this year, eh?

Limp noodle? I'd think any fish that can top 10lbs and has teeth could present a challenge. Maybe it's because they'll grab your bait and swim along with it - so you don't even know they're there! I hear Walleye taste great, so far I've only seen the "less filling" variety!!! [blush]
I love fishing walleye with a grub dark body chartruse tail on Utah lake. Second is crank'n Rapalas then it bottom bouncing a crawler harness. They can be very finicky about what presentation they will hit on any given day. I have had they change color of the grub I fish 2 or 3 time during a day of fishing. Here is a pic from lat weekend.
[signature]
Man I used to catch walleyes on everything. Back when I was growing up in PA it was more a matter of WHEN we would catch walleyes than ON WHAT. We'd be fishing the same stuff that we were catching smallmouth, largemouth, white bass, trout, perch, rock bass, crappie, drum, catfish and carp on its just the walleyes and saugers would start hitting closer to dusk. My favorite for walleyes and crappie was a minnow on a jig head fished vertically. That slayed 'em! Nightcrawlers worked great, I always heard a worm rig was dynamite but never used one. Leeches were another big thing back in PA especially in Lake Eerie. Malibu jigs either white, yellow or chartreuse, mister twisters in chartreuse, black, yellow, white, or whatever. I think its mainly a challenge of getting them off the bottom. I think that's why we had such good luck with jigs.
[signature]