Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube for a very large man.
Hey Everyone,

I am a new member who has been lurking these forums for a long while now. I used to float tube years ago on a tube I bought from gander mountain. I rememeber I wasnt a huge fan of sitting in the water, but I cant rememeber what I bought. Well I went to pull out that old tube and its finished, it doesnt have a name on it anymore but it looks like classic accessories.

So now I am in the market for a new tube. Thing is I am 6'6" and weigh 340 lbs. I have done alot of research on tubes and the outlaw escape looks great, but $700 is more then i want to spend. Is there any other tubes out there that would work for me? Ive tried finding a used escape, but cant seem to find any. Would the SFC work for me?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
[signature]
Have you looked at other used pontoon boats? Sometimes you can pick up a nice Outcast boat for a good price. Something in the 8 to 9 foot length range should be more comfortable for you than a float tube. Most of their frames will disassemble enough to fit in a car, or it can ride on top on a rack if transportation is a problem.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am 6'3" and weigh over 250. But I carry a lot of extra gear and my standard load is well over 300# in my Fat Cat. Then I add a 65# battery and an electric motor. I float high and dry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, part of being able to add the battery and the motor is my installation of a couple of boat bumpers under the front end. (see pic). [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "BIGGER BUMPERS.jpg"]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you cannot find a good enough price on an Outlaw you should be able to use a Fat Cat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I agree that your size, you really ought to be looking at a Pontoon. We had the Escapes and my husband is 6'4" and had a very hard time rowing. For just a float tube, it would be perfect....in fact if you could find a Freestyle H3 that would be the ultimate.
The only production tube I see that might come close is the Prowler but wt marked at 325, and the price is $350. to $600.
[signature]
Thank you for the replys everyone. Just got back from fishing today and my buddy let me use his spare bighorn float tube to fish out of. I was suprised at how well the tube held me up. I was sitting in the water the whole day, but this tube isnt really designed to hold you out of the water.

Thing is with pontoons i dont have the room to carry it. I drive a car and dont want to have to buy a trailer for a pontoon. Alot of the places i go to tube are usually a half mile to 3 mile hike. So lightweight is a must.

So the escape wouldnt be that good of an idea either if i decided to spend so much? Were his legs in the way while using the paddles?

I have searched the internet and havent been able to find a H3. I guess NFO has stopped making it as it isnt on their website anymore.
[signature]
Sadly, they did quit making the H3. And yes his legs were in the way with the foot bar. But he does have an inseam of 36" You put the seat back all the way and them up your feet on the bar to row. Might still work and they have got it down to 20 lbs. Like carrying a large bag of sugar is all.
[signature]
Carrying a toon or tube on a car is easy, you don't need a trailer. Hatchback will carry some frames deflated depending on design width. You might have install quick release bolts on the hard seat hinge to remove the hard seat back if it hits the top when folded down. Otherwise just strap to the top of your vehicle if you want to carry inflated.

I have a similar hike to some of my and lightweight is important. Whatever the boat weight is, don't forget to add the weight of all the additional equipment needed to make it happen- could be bulky and over 20# easily with oars, inflaters, tackle, anchors, fins, waders, snacks, water, PFD, etc. considered.

The bighorn does have a the highest capacity for a low cost, medium weight tube. You would need carry straps for hiking in. If the seat floor is inflatable, then you can raise the capacity by putting more air in the bottom, then add a separate 2" foam seat cushion or fashion a plastic patio chair with the legs cut off to fit.

Porta

[quote BigFlyMan]Thank you for the replys everyone. Just got back from fishing today and my buddy let me use his spare bighorn float tube to fish out of. I was suprised at how well the tube held me up. I was sitting in the water the whole day, but this tube isnt really designed to hold you out of the water.

Thing is with pontoons i dont have the room to carry it. I drive a car and dont want to have to buy a trailer for a pontoon. Alot of the places i go to tube are usually a half mile to 3 mile hike. So lightweight is a must.

So the escape wouldnt be that good of an idea either if i decided to spend so much? Were his legs in the way while using the paddles?

I have searched the internet and havent been able to find a H3. I guess NFO has stopped making it as it isnt on their website anymore.[/quote]
[signature]
You could probably use a Super Fat Cat or a Trinity from Outcast as well as some of the large tubes from Classic Acc. Manufacturers set seem to set their weight limit lower than what the actual is. Also as TubeDude mentioned if you need to raise the nose a bit on the Fat Cat, then use a couple of boat bumpers.

If you can see if a friend or even a store will let you try a couple out first.
[signature]
On weight capacity, for some it is set with your arse sitting down in the water, so that section of your body and your legs + immersed seat bottom bubble provide some upward buoyancy. If you want to clear the water, it becomes a more difficult proposition if there is a lot of upper body weight and the tube can become unstable. The NFO products seem to be an exception, providing a high capacity and high seating position with stability due to greater width and bigger tubes..

Pon
[signature]
One thing on weight capacity. Sure some companies underestimate, but that is all they are LEGALLY responsible for. Something to think about.
[signature]
Yes, but I'm not aware of any standards followed by whole industry on weight capacity. Is the weight capacity measured to where the tube becomes dangerous? Or is it measured when it is half immersed, etc. Also the weight capacity is very dependent on inflation pressure. You can get more capacity by inflating close to the maximum, but probably should have an air guage and check frequently. Seems like I remember one design that had a pressure relief valve for protection which would take care of explosions....

Pon
[signature]
I would say that each company puts their weight limit and posts it as such.
In other words, if someone has a tube rated at 300 and loads it 325 and claims because this other tube is the same size and it is rated at that...the company with 300
is only responsible for that. Of course it would come down to proof as well, but if that weight is over that limit undisputeably, such as personal weight plus gear, the company is no longer liable.
Wear as if the tube is rated for say 300 lbs and you weigh 125 lbs and the boat explodes under normal use, you would have just cause.
Not saying any of this ever happens just saying.

Oh and the Outlaw frameless have those pressure relief valves.

[Image: IMG_6355-1.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I had a phone conversation with someone from Outcast a few years ago. His explanation was that the weight ratings were more along the line of suggestions. He admitted that if someone were to lose their life due to equipment failure that the courts would care little about weight ratings and unprovable loads at the time of said failures. The manufacturer would probably lose the suit regardless of evidence presented...or not presented.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As in all things in life...especially tubing...we should always exercise good judgment and not try to grossly overtax our equipment. I have deliberately stacked tremendous extra weight on my tube, just to see how much it could take before blowing up or sinking. I can tell you that it will float two of me with plenty of freeboard to spare. But I can also tell you that I always pay close attention to the hardness of the air chambers when out on a hot day. If the tube gets rock hard I bleed a bit of pressure from it. And the first thing I do when pulling it up on dry land...after being in the cooler water...is let off some air. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That began after witnessing a tuber lose his ride...and almost the contents of his lower intestinal tract...when his cheapie tube blew up a few minutes after he beached it on a hot sunny day. It was a 2 part explosion...first a big rip...of the zipper and then a POW of the air chamber. Not funny if it happens to you. Even worse if it happened on the water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
After trying out the bighorn, i think i am either going to go with the bighorn or cumberland float tube for now. If i didnt have to replace other equipment right now I probably would spend more to get something nicer. Bighorn floated me just fine without any problem for hours. Still have to replace waders and wading boots. Has anyone tried a cumberland? Seems the big difference between the two is the cumberland has bigger pockets and a foam seat. I am not a huge fan of the boston valve on the cumberland, but it looks nicer.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have no experience with the Cumberland but I know a few tubers who have been happy with the Bighorn. The Cumberland looks to be in the same general range of size, capacity, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sure it will fill your immediate needs but it is definitely not in the same quality league as Outcast or Scadden products. It is made totally "offshore" for the price market and the materials and workmanship are only guaranteed for 1 year. And Classic Accessories has a sketchy record on replies to customers and customer service.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It does look like a good candidate for being somewhat lighter and more packable. But as has been mentioned...a couple of pounds difference in your craft is quickly overshadowed by trying to carry a lot of other stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck and let us know what you get...and post up some pictures.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote BigFlyMan]After trying out the bighorn, i think i am either going to go with the bighorn or cumberland float tube for now. If i didnt have to replace other equipment right now I probably would spend more to get something nicer. Bighorn floated me just fine without any problem for hours. Still have to replace waders and wading boots. Has anyone tried a cumberland? Seems the big difference between the two is the cumberland has bigger pockets and a foam seat. I am not a huge fan of the boston valve on the cumberland, but it looks nicer.[/quote]

I have a Cumberland, and have only been out 4 or 5 times but haven't had any problems with it. I'm 6"1 290LBS.
My only complaint is the seat back. I feel like i have to hold my self up. Just feel like I can't lean back and relax.
[signature]
[quote Jackalope][quote BigFlyMan]After trying out the bighorn, i think i am either going to go with the bighorn or cumberland float tube for now. If i didnt have to replace other equipment right now I probably would spend more to get something nicer. Bighorn floated me just fine without any problem for hours. Still have to replace waders and wading boots. Has anyone tried a cumberland? Seems the big difference between the two is the cumberland has bigger pockets and a foam seat. I am not a huge fan of the boston valve on the cumberland, but it looks nicer.[/quote]

I have a Cumberland, and have only been out 4 or 5 times but haven't had any problems with it. I'm 6"1 290LBS.
My only complaint is the seat back. I feel like i have to hold my self up. Just feel like I can't lean back and relax.[/quote]

four or five time????? I would hope no problems in 4 or 5 times.[cool]
[signature]