Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catfish question
just wonderin...is there any perticular reason why catfishing is so popular out here? i mean not sayin anything bad but there are soo many other game species here in utah that i would think goin for catfish would be more of a kid thing or accident. do catfish put up a big fight or something? im from southern california and i guess we just dont fish for those things, but maybe im missin out! lmk what your input is thanks.
[signature]
Great fighters, easy to catch, great eating and close to home.
[signature]
I'll admit I spend more time with bass and trout, but I still enjoy some catfish fishing. The main attraction for me is that they have the potential to reach large sizes.
[signature]
Also, I think this forum is "catfish-heavy" or catfish oriented, if you know what I mean. I know lots of guys from work who count themselves as "serious" fishermen who think catfish are gross, ugly, or wouldn't eat one because they are "bottom feeders".

Catfish aren't always EASY to catch, but the gear and skill-set are simple and low cost. The fish can get big, they fight pretty hard, they are abundant, you don't hear a lot of whining about C&R (except for big old breeders) and they are great to eat.
[signature]
that has always been my understanding as well. they are bottom feeders and from my understanding very easy to catch just put a chunk of bait on a hook, put a bobber on it and youre set. i mean its understandable to take your kids cat fishing or even doing it once ina while but t actually plan a day to catch cats is kinda weird for me. i guess i just feel theres not too much of a chalenge catching cats. im just wigged out cuz all these great fisheries in utah and people waste their time on catfish(no offense). to each his own i guess
[signature]
It's the quest to get the giant one and they're not easy to catch.
[signature]
well trying to catch the big one is fair enough but as far as dificulty im pretty sure its one of the easiest fish to catch, I mean theres peoplee who catch them by hand. try doing that with a largemouth or smallie.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I spen[/#0000ff][#0000ff]t a large part of my life in southern California too...and I can tell you there are LOTS of catfish fans. And not just the "usual stereotypes" by race, origin or economic status.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have fished all over the country and have caught virtually every species of fish in the US...freshwater and saltwater. I love 'em all, but I have a special fondness for Mr. Whiskers. Few other fish can match it in terms of size, fight and table quality.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Catfish are subject to a lot of inaccurate prejudices and stereotypes. Bottom-feeders? So are trout and bass...and can be caught on the same stink baits fished for catfish. And they often taste much worse on the table. In actuality, catfish are superb predators and live on diets of live food whenever possible. But...like trout and bass...will eat whatever is available when food is scarce.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As to the myth of being "easy to catch"...I will accept a challenge from any goober who harbors this illusion to a one day one water challenge. Let's see how easy they are to catch under any and all conditions. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My opinion...after enduring this kind of attitude for over a half century...is that most folks who spout silly rhetoric and unfounded opinions on catfish are folks who have never really fished for them...or caught them...or who would know the difference between a cafish and any other species when it comes to catching, cooking and eating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, I find that self-styled catfish haters are not much different than racial bigots or snobs who look down upon others who make less money or drive poorer cars or boats. Their dislike (hatred) is bred mostly as a result of how they were programmed as youngsters and the type of people with whom they associate. More about ignorance than actual experience.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As they said about Rooster Cogburn (paraphrased) "Pretty strong words from an old catman".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry folks. Now I'll get down off my bait bucket. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Bassman, if you haven't noticed there is a plethora of people that fish for bass here in Utah, only thing is the guys that know what they are doing are pretty tight lipped about it.
[signature]
[quote BassHunter1]Bassman, if you haven't noticed there is a plethora of people that fish for bass here in Utah, only thing is the guys that know what they are doing are pretty tight lipped about it.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Both of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come to think of it, I wouldn't want everybody to know about it either. Rather have them still thinking that I was a volunteer garbage collector.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seriously, nothing against bass. I have fished them in just about every state and still dearly love to fish for them. I simply choose to fish for other species as well. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is okay to develop a passion for one species or another...or one type of fishing...or one type of rod and reel...or line...or lures. Just don't adopt an attitude that anybody else who does not fish like you do is somehow inferior.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would agree that the larger ones are more difficult to catch with any consistency, however the "cookies" are a piece of cake (lots of deserts) once the water warms up over say...70 degrees. The larger ones do take some more time and skill to get tho.
[signature]
I've seen a huge trout caught by hand (picked up right out of the river)

Catfish are great eating like stated earlier.

Do you like to eat fish? My wife recently preferred the catfish tacos over the chicken I made. You can buy catfish at the store and get it in a lot of restaurants.

They are fun to catch as well.. so they get my vote.
[signature]
yep, they are terrible. lazy, easy to catch and taste like poo. please never waste your time catching any in UL.
In fact the lake glows at night and the fish are 3 eye'd.

Better not even launch in there. your boat might melt.
go up to the mountains and catch all the slime rockets (i mean trout) you can handle.

[Wink] cat fishing is evil.. stay away... don't do it...
[signature]
tubedude, all you need is a chunk of bait and a bobber to catch those fish! maybe the bigger ones might be a bit tougher but all in all anyone can catch catfish at anytime of the year. Im glad you have fished all over the world but in cali i can assure you there are few people who actually go out of their way to fish catfish unless they really want to eat it!! you out of everyone should know that largemouth fishing is soo good in california that people dont waste their time on cats. as a matter of fact from my experience living my whole life in california i can assure you that most of the people i fished with when they would catch cats would be disgusted and upset they cought one. I probably have not fished as many species as you but I can tell you one thing, there is a reason why catfish is in the bottom of the list and there is also a reason why it is not even considered a game fish to most!
[signature]
Sorry, wasn't saying that anyone is inferior because they spend more time fishing for cats or trout or any fish in the water. Just because my callsign here says "bass" doesn't mean I don't fish for any thing that doesn't end with bass. I think I was trying to say most people are more likely to share a honey-hole where the bite is hot with a family member or friends before they publicize what they are doing to the Millions of others out there.
[signature]
I tell ya what, go and catch a 15 to 20 pounder and then let us know how long it took and how easy it was. I bass fish my ass off every year and I can tell you that all the things that matter when trying for big bass are the same for cats, like temp, depth, time of day, weather ect. Little bass are just as easy to catch as little cats, their dumb and will eat anything. You should try going out sometime and find out for yourself why it's so fun.
[signature]
first off would not waste my time fishing for those things. second off let me know where you catch all those dumb bass cuz i would love to catch a whole lot of little bass easily. there is a reason why bass is the #1 game fish in the world, they are hard to catch and you need to do your homework and figure out what they are eating, are they finiky, lathargic etc... you cant compare a cat to bass. I wanna see you catch a largie with a chunk of powerbait and a bobber!!!
[signature]
Sorry to burst your bubble, but when I was a youngster I caught around a six pound large mouth bass out of Spring Lake (south of Provo) on Velveeta cheese. Just because you don't choose to fish for catfish don't belittle those who choose to do so.
[signature]
Ya got me ta blievin' yer a snob er mebby jist up in thu midl of thu nite. ahm fmiliar wit lotta folks in kalliprunia whut luvs ta ketch em catfeesh.
[signature]
Did you not read what I wrote. I bass fish my ASS OFF! I know what it takes to catch big bass and I also know what it takes to catch big cats. My challenge to you was to put your money where your mouth is and go try it yourself. Anyone who bass fishes and cat fishes knows that the little ones are dumb and will eat whatever you put in front of them. Here is a couple pics from my bassin yesterday to prove just how dumb little bass are. Notice the lure. And using power bait and a bobber just shows how little you know about cat fishing, really how little you know about fishing in general.
[signature]