Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scary incident while tubing today.
Hey everyone,

Just curious if you have ever seen this happen before. Today a number of us went out to a lake to go tubing. Since I haven't bought one yet we were swapping out the tubes between us while some were on the shore. It was about 88 out today and the water temps were pretty chilly still.

A friend of a friend that came out with us was out on the water for a few hours. He came back on land and after about 10-15 min he was walking against the shore where its rocky and the water depth is pretty deep right against the bank. All of a sudden he had a seizure and fell into the water. Luckily two of us were near and we jumped in and somehow got him on the shore. It was very scary because when we got him out of the water he was turning a deep blue color, not because he was drowning, but because of the seizure.

It was the scariest 3 min i have experienced in quite a while. Felt pretty helpless. Only thing we did was put him on his side and tried to open his mouth so he could breathe. Once we were able to force his mouth open and he was able to breathe again the episode subsided and he became alert. It took about 5 min before he could tell us his name and where he was. Crazy thing was once he was able to breathe again and became alert it was like he was hallucinating because when he saw us he tried to get away from us. We had to hold him down till he was able to calm down.

This guy doesn't have any history of seizures or any illness that would have caused this. When the ambulance finally got there he seemed alright, but a little dazed. Not sure why but he refused to go to the hospital. We tried to get him to go, but he wouldn't.

Have any of you seen anything like this happen from being in the water for long periods of time? Luckily some of us were on shore to jump in and help him.

As for the fishing, didn't catch a thing today.
[signature]
He was fortunate that you were ther to help him. Praise God!
[signature]
I had a good friend that had grand mal seizures, but from a head wound. Never get use to seeing it but do learn how to handle it.

As far as out of the blue, when I was quite young, I almost lost my mother. She was at work at a local bagging company back then. They were bagging fertilizer that week so we later kind of put that as maybe the cause.
Anyway, she wasn't feeling well so they called my sister. On the way home my mother stiffened up and began shaking, so my sister headed for the hospital. She had several more that day. Then never again.??????? Never found out why.

Then a couple of weeks ago, ambulance across the street. The woman that lives there had her brother visiting and he had one...never before either.??????
[signature]
I'd suggest having the person get a physical, because it could be something like hypoglycemia that could easily be managed with diet and awareness. Whether it is or isn't, it should be checked out.
[signature]
I've never heard of a seizure being caused by tubing or water temp, but you never know.

They can happen to anyone. I had my one and only while in college (in a class no less!) It was thought to be due to a displaced neck. Never had another.

More common causes are head injuries, lack of sleep, tumors, oxygen depletion, chemicals and drugs, and the list could probably go on. -- FG mom may have been due to a sensitivity to some of the chemicals.

It is sure good you guys were with him when it happened.
[signature]
A dear friend of mine began suffering grand mal siezures in her mid 20's for reasons she wasn't able to identify quickly. Sadly she suffered one while riding a jet ski and drowned. Your friend was very lucky to have you so close by.

About two months ago my daughter suffered one. She had been sick with the flu and we allowed her to sleep in the front room to be close to the restroom. Just by chance she had it as we were getting ready for work. Several doctors visits later and we still don't know why. Siezures are a strange and very scary thing.
[signature]
Oh man ! Im sure very glad that you were there
to help him out.
Never know........

Peter
[signature]