Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do panfish eat crayfish?
Do panfish eat crayfish?
[signature]
I know that perch do as last winter when I cleaned one it had a crawdaddy in it.
[signature]
On some lakes - I've found them STUFFED with snails. Pretty small ones, but seriously STUFFED!

I know they like worms and grubs and such. Plus - other perch. Seen some in a pond - and when some feeder goldfish were tossed in - they went HOG-WILD crazy attacking them. Pretty aggressive little fish!
The more agressive species will. I have Green sunfish in my pond and often find crayfish in them. Also found them in red eared bream out of the James.

Edit: You are not allowed to post links in your Signature block unless you pay for that right, please go into your profile and remove your link.
Click here for the rules of the site [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=faq"]FAQ[/url]
After having gathered a few smaller softshell crawdads in the river shallows I took to fishing them in the immeadiate surrounding deeper water and caught 2 warmouth among the smallmouth and largemouth bass so I would venture to say if they arent too big they will suck em up !
[signature]
Yup, all the time. I don't know of anything that will pass one up that is their size.
[signature]
The answer is Yes!
I have cleaned lots of panfish with crayfish in them. They don't take on anything bigger than they can handle so likely during the month or two after the crayfish hatch.
[signature]
yes I caught his one on a .5 in red crayfish crank and it's my best to date.

[inline Crappie.JPG]

so the answer to your question is...

YES.
[signature]
[quote WillCFish]The answer is Yes!
I have cleaned lots of panfish with crayfish in them. They don't take on anything bigger than they can handle so likely during the month or two after the crayfish hatch.[/quote]

absolutely. I catch most of my big crappie in spring and use red .... I might fish all day and not catch anything but when I do it's worth the haul as you see in my last post.

I'd rather fish all day and catch one that large than catch 20 little 8 to 10 inch ones. But I fish for the hawgs...
[signature]
that is a nice crappie!!
[signature]
[quote bytebull]yes I caught his one on a .5 in red crayfish crank and it's my best to date.

so the answer to your question is...

YES.[/quote]

Man that is soo nice, guess I'm going to have to start looking at Dicks Sporting Goods for half inch crawdads then lol...
[signature]
I don't normally use cranks ( maybe I should start ) but I always do good on crawdad color plastics.
[signature]