Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge with mixed bag of Pics
[font "Times New Roman"]Ok so this is a late report but here it is. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]We went to Flaming Gorge over the Memorial Day weekend. We set up camp near Sheep Creek and fished from Lucern to Carter Creek. Being that I had just learned to catch the Smallies in Powell I figured we might as well start with that. We headed for the nearest rock slide and on the second cast I had a bass on. We threw for them for about 20 minutes catching a few more. The wind was pushing us around so we set out the trolling lines.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]We set riggers out from 15-30 in depth with flasher trailing spoons and squid. We started getting Rainbows and Kokes right away. It was fast action for some time. The kids loved it. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The next few days we spent throwing grubs to the shore and catching everything. We caught Rainbows, Browns, Kokes, Smallies and Lakers on the jigs. The only time we trolled after that was for Kokes. The Kokes were caught between 20-28 depth with a watermelon RMT spoon being the ticket behind a flasher at about 2 2.5 MPH.[/font]
[signature]
I've seen those snakes up there before but I didn't know what kind they are. Do you know what it is?
Looks like a gopher snake to me.
Midge is right, they are Gopher snakes. This was a pretty good size one.
[signature]
Gopher snake or blow snake ( which is a sub species of king snake) they look very similiar. Pattern themselves like rattle snakes so they will be left alone. Plus if it is the king snake variety it eats other snakes, mostly rattlers so it's pattern helps it fool it's prey.
[signature]
Looks fun thanks for all the pics.

---

A small heads up: The burbot are still raiding the shallows at night (10-20 feet of water).

Might be worth giving them a try next time you are up there too!!! One more species to the list...
[signature]
Nice report and pics KSC, thanks for sharing. That one ram looks like it has a deformed horn, am I seeing it right or is that horn touching the side of it's face?
[signature]
Great Pics. Looks like a fun trip with a mixed bag of fish. Kids looked like they enjoyed the trip too.
[signature]
You saw it right. His horn was just touching his mouth. I hope that it curls more next year and still allows him to eat. He must have injured himself early on in life causing it to turn that way. That is my guess anyway. It was cool to see them only 50 yards from the boat. My 200mm lens helps also[Wink]
[signature]
Awesome report!!!!!!!
[signature]
Also called a bullsnake. I've only heard it called a blow snake around here, but they do puff up and hiss when bothered sometimes, so the name fits. I've even seen them twitch their tails like they are rattling before, but of course are not rattlers. Their head is oval, they have decent hooking teeth, they are constrictors, eat small mammals and reptiles including snakes, the pattern has oval blotches less regular than the rattlers, and they are thinner in build.

What a great trip! Especially for the kids. I long to treat my kids to that kind of successful adventure, and I'll get it right some day.
[signature]
Great report and great pics, gets me excited to head up there in a few weeks.
Oh BTW, I need that gopher snake in my back yard! Smile
[signature]
It was great to have the kiddos on the boat this time. Next time I hope my little one wants to go.
[signature]
Nice pics! Looks like fun. We are headed to the Gorge on friday. We bought a boat last weekend and I am excited to boat fish again (if my husband lets me in between wakeboarding). Your kids look so happy!
[signature]
Excellent pics. Loved them all but my fav... hands down... the Motley Crue shirt.
[signature]
Not trying to be the Martin of the group here (simpsons reference), but....
Technically, the bull or "blow" snake is a member of the colubrid family, which is an umbrella group of "common" snakes. They are not classified as constructors, although they WILL constrict prey too large to consume live, in order to subdue it. More often than not, snakes like these enter burrows of critters and gorge on the young while they can. They don't have time to be courteous enough to humanely euthanize their prey before they send it on down the digestion path.

On a lighter note.....
Cool pics KSC! Hope you enjoyed your personal tour of one of my favorite places in our state(s)!
Josh
[signature]
[cool] I thought someone might like the Motley Crue shirt. I figured it would bring good luck and it did!! Only two weeks till the concert \m/ \m/
[signature]
Looks like somebody caught the bassin bug!
[signature]
OH YA!! I now have Hiram hooked on bassin also.
[signature]