Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchovies - Lake Powell
Heading down to Powell for a week next week and want to buy a pretty good supply of anchovies. Do any of you have any recommendations on where to buy them here in the SL Valley? Or is is it better/cheaper to find them down by Page? We'll be launching from Antelope.

I've never used them before so if you have any advice in that arena as well, I'd appreciate it.

Gaetz
[signature]
Don't know where to get 'em. Someone else will have to chime in.

Keep them frozen as long as possible. Only take a couple out of the bag/cooler at a time. They stay on the hook better when frozen. After they thaw out hook the head and tail pieces. Chum with the middle pieces with the guts in 'em.
[signature]
You can buy them in Salt Lake at Sportsmans Warehouse for example, but it's cheaper and far easier to get them in Page at the Walmart than to try and keep them frozen all the way down. If Walmart doesn't have them in yet, which they almost always do, you can find them at Stix for a price similar to Sportsmans. Keeping them more on the frozen side of things makes them much easier to manage.
[signature]
There's a tackle store at the Antelope Ponit marina that sells a bag of 20 anchovies for $3. That's probably the easiest bet.
[signature]
Hanksville was almost out of anchovies, hole in the rock completely out, chevron was into thier last box....Sunday monday of this week
[signature]
Thanks to all who've replied. I'll probably try to get them here in SLC rather than chance getting down there and not finding anything.

Regards,

TRH
[signature]
I've got a real love/hate of anchovies. They are excellent for Powell, but they are very hard to keep rock solid frozen. And if not so, you've got a mess.

I've packed them between lots of ice, but they want to thaw and just packing them in ice doesn't keep them solid very long. Haven't tried dry ice, but that might be what it takes to keep them in condition to use as bait.

Sooo ...if possible try to get them at the lake. I think you'll be happier.
[signature]
(928) 645-9364 thats the number to the Walley world in page. They have 50 bags in the freezer and a pallet in the back room. Just call fro availability.
[signature]
JMaze-

thanks for doing some of my homework for me. I'll call down there.

As an idea for keeping them frozen, you could buy them before you head down, and put them in a tupperware/container full of water and freeze them. Pull 'em out before you need them, and thaw...could work!!!

TRH
[signature]
[#804000]Buy a small six pack cooler ....... Get chovies at Wal-Mart in Page......Take a section of newspaper and fold it over the top of the chovies in the cooler ........ Get a chunk of dry ice from Wal-Mart, and put it on top of the folded newspaper ........ You won't be sorry for keeping them frozen, while you fish........ If Wal-Mart doesn't have dry ice, you can get it at Safeway in Page.[/#804000]
[#804000][/#804000]
[#804000]Whatever container you put the chovies in, you must keep it forever for chovies only, and never bring it inside the house.[/#804000]
[signature]
Totally agree, dry ice is the ticket and is the easiest... It will keep them solid as a rock. The down side is that dry ice is just over a buck a pound, so it can get a little pricey even though it's worth it. I typically get it all at the walmart and haven't had any issues. Good luck.
[signature]
Here is what i do on my powell trips .Take dry ice and it will keep the chovies frozen. Also instead of chumming with pieces of chovies take a few bags of chovies and chopped them up as best if you can its better in the blender thats if the wife lets you use it. Then put the ground up chovies in a ziplock bag and freeze it .Buy a mesh bag most dollar stores sell them and use one bag of ground up chovies as needed this creates a chum slick that the fish follow and beleive me they hang around then just throw a chunk on a hook and have fun.if you throw chunks out chumming you better take a lot of chovies mymethod saves your chovies and brings all fish to the boat especially if you are anchored this method is great too if you want to drift fish.Hope this helps you out and good luck.
[signature]
I know it depends on how much you fish but how many bags a day do you usually go through? I plan of fishing 4-6 hours a day for 5 days? Thanks!
[signature]
I would start with a bag per person minimum. But it really depends on how hot the fishing is, and how many fish you want to catch. If you are chumming them up you could use a TON of anchovies. There are only 20 or so anchovies per bag sometimes and I usually average one anchovy per fish. Do the math. If you want to catch a hundred Stripers then you need allot of bait. The dry ice works, but I usually still plan on baiting up once every 3 days minimum. I know sometimes all the chum in the world won't help, and sometimes you can't keep them off your hook. If the fishing is hot a third of an anchovy is all you need. If it is slow a whole anchovy might be the right choice. Some times you get 35 little anchovies in a bag.

Allot of variables but you should be able to figure it out. I like to use 5 pounds of dry ice per bag of anchovies. That might be more then you need this time of year and later in the year not enough.Try to keep the coolers shaded as well. Good luck.
[signature]
This is the wife and I definately say NO to using the blender. Sick.
[signature]
Ha, looks like I need to change the password....Smile I wonder what else the wife has been reading??

Anyways, thanks guys, you've given me so great places to start. I hope the anchovies are the ticket and that we can find some hot striper action.

Later,

Gaetz
[signature]
I would say about a bag an hour for chumming if your doing my method.Also depending on the size of the chovies you can get 3 pieces or maybe just 2 for bait. I also take minnows i catch its cheaper than buying chovies they also will catch everything if you let them drop to the bottom you can get walleyes and cats and LB and smallmouth bass but you will have to put some weight on to get passed the stripers .I would say if 4 of you are fishing you would go thru about 5 bags an hour if your into the fish.Another helpful tip use flourocarbon as your leader those stripers have great eyesight there were 4 of us fishing on my boat last time i went there and 3 of us were catching tons of fish while the other was just fishing. He was determined to not use flourocarbon but after an hour of no bites he switched. Also night fishing is great to if you fish from shore there are some huge cats that come shallow a chovie under a bobber does the trick .
[signature]
Great tips here, thanks.
I am new to Powell and am headed down for 5 days on the 17th. Would carp cut in to pieces work very well as chum and just use the anchovies on the hook?
[signature]
I believe you can only legally chum with anchovies.
[signature]
Yep, you are right. Thanks.
I figured there would be a reason.
[signature]