Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Lowell open house
I went to the open house on Friday. My wife and I got there about 12:15 and we're there about an hour. We talked to the main biologist.

He said that the proposals are not set in stone and they could be modified by the suggestions and opinions that they receive.

The main concern I had was the fact that on three of the proposals, the area from the edge of the trees to the shore was off limits. This is prime bass fishing in the spring in amongst the trees. The reasoning behind that is the Western Grebe, whom are on the threatened list, nesting in the smartweed. My suggestion is that they close the area after the emergence of the smartweed when the Grebe begin nesting and open it back up after nesting. He liked the suggestion. I can tell you right now, we are not going to win over the Grebe. They are getting top priority.

The other concern I had was the closure of the no-wake area at the southeast end of the lake. That area is some of the best bass fishing on the whole lake. It is a Grebe nesting colony, along with the green bulge near the narrows, and they want to have a 500 meter off limits area around it. There is also a nesting colony near the Caldwell dam. So we are looking at three areas that will be off limits.

The third concern I had was the wake area in the west end of the lake. To me it is too confining and I see safety concerns with water skiers, wake boarders and jet skiers. Someone will definitely get hurt or killed eventually. Then the whole lake will be closed. He hadn't heard that concern and definitely needed to be brought up in my comments.

All in all, he was very knowledgeable and we had a good discussion. Unlike some of the others there who were getting hot under their collars with a couple of the women and raising their voices. That attitude is not going to get you anywhere.

For those that are interested, Western Marine, in Nampa, is having a meeting on Thursday, June 9th, at 7:00PM to discuss the proposals and get comments so they can draft a letter for a future meeting in July with the Refuge people and the Representitives from Idaho. They are also going to have the media there in July and some of the businesses that would be affected by these proposals.
[signature]
Bob, talk about inconsistencies. I spent around 2 hours with the refuge manager on Saturday. You got a few answers that are not true. The Western Grebe is not threatened. The nonsensical term the biologists like to use is "impaired". This means that they are concerned and must do something. However, there have been no studies done on Lake Lowell to show that they are impaired there. They are just "impaired" in the state of Idaho, and the refuge feels they must do their part to help - even though they cannot demonstrate that they need help.

There is no law about a 500 foot buffer zone around nesting areas. You were being conned. Their "historic" nesting areas were found in 2010. They searched for sites last year and have called them historic. I offered to show them that most of the grebes on Lake Lowell do not nest in the smartweed. They nest in willow bushes and the smartweed grows in the same area. It's just coincidence that the beds and nests are in the same areas. They have already nested and are hatching eggs and the smartweed is just starting to emerge.

My suggesting are must less restrictive than yours. I believe they should close the areas that they feel are "historic" nesting areas - the three you mention, but leave the rest of the south shore and the no wake area
open to humans (fishermen are a part of nature, too). They should create a 5 MPH zone 100 yards outside the outer edges of the smartweed. Nothing would impair fishermen in that way because we don't need to speed our way into those areas anyway.

I have lots of other suggestions, but they do not deal with fishing. We had a very nice discussion, but it did get heated at times, especially when they seemed to think there was a problem with Grebes and smartweed, especially since they have no studies to back up their concern. Neither are threatened or scarce. Closing the south shore of Lake Lowell is just the easy way out - for them.
[signature]
Checking the internet on the Western Grebe shows that it is a Species of Concern on the state levels. The only state I could find that has any credence is Washington as they have done tracking studies. It seems none of the other states have done any real tracking of the birds. Conservation wise, it is listed as Least Concern. So you have conflicting arguments.

I used the wrong term for the 500 meter buffer. It is not the LAW but is what they want to protect the historic nesting colonies.

As far as the Grebe using the smartweed for nesting, I do have pictures that show this to be true. I came upon a nest and the female Grebe. She moved off the nest and tried to lure me away from the nest. I took pictures and then immediately left and she moved back on the nest. I'm not saying that they use the smartweed exclusively as I'm sure they use anything that they can find to support their nests. According to most literature, they have floating nests which move with the waves so wind or boat wakes from a distance would not destroy them.

These pictures were taken in 2007 at Lowell.
[signature]
Bob, I'm not trying to argue with you. I am opposing the USFWS and their changing policy without scientific study which demonstrates a need. The ladies at the refuge agreed with me that most of the grebes on Lake Lowell nest in willows. I can post photos taken on Lake Lowell last week of grebe nests floating in the willows if you want. The point is that we are going to lose all the fishing on the south side of Lake Lowell if we don't fight them. The refuge manager has only been here for a bit over a year. She and the other two ladies are going to decide if you get to fish the south side of Lake Lowell or not.

There is no problem with Western Grebes on Lake Lowell.
There is no lack of, or problem with, smartweed on Lake Lowell.
They do not need to change policy concerning these items, as they are not endangered, threatened, or concerned in any way.

Quote:My suggestion is that they close the area after the emergence of the smartweed when the Grebe begin nesting and open it back up after nesting. He liked the suggestion. I can tell you right now, we are not going to win over the Grebe. They are getting top priority.

I should add that this is the typical "compromise" that the government uses. They offer nothing to you, but you are willing to give up some of your fishing rights to appease the government. They do not need to close the smartweed at any time. It is unnecessary. They cannot show any problem with grebes or smartweed. If you want to compromise and give up to the grebe, let them have their "historic" nesting areas only.
[signature]
i wanted to thank you gents for looking out for us. i have been buried at work and am unable to attend these meetings. Sad, looks like we are going to lose some fishing in any case......[pirate]
[signature]
This whole issue is beyond ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Lake Lowell is and always has been a MAN MADE un-natural irrigation pond. Any habitat it happens to provide for grebes or whatever is a BONUS and strictly a by-product to the primary functions which are irrigation and recreation.

The greenie eco-nazis need to have there heads forcibly removed from there ... and quit making ... up to justify their existence.

No encounter I have with any one pushing this agenda is gonna be P.C. or pleasant in any way......
[signature]