Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 stroke questions (sorry a little off topic)
Sorry guys this is a little off topic, but I need some help.I have a 2004 bass tracker pro guide 16 footer deep v. It has a 2004 mercury 60 hp 4 stroke on it with about 47 hours on motor. This is the first 4 stroke motor I have owned. Only had it for 4 months and taken it out 5 times. Previously I have had an 18 foot deep v with a 120 hp 2 stroke and a 16 ft mod v with a 35 hp 2 stroke. Normally when we go out there are 2 of us, maybe 2 and my teenage son, and the boat will do 30-32 mph at 5500 rpm all the time. Well today we went out in it with 4 adults and a good amount of gear with us. I know we were reaching max weight, and the boat would only do about 10 mph at 4100 rpm. I thought at first something was wrong so I dropped everyone off at dock and went for test drive and it ran like normal with no weight. I don't understand why it doesn't build up more rpm with additional weight. With my 2 strokes in the past it would be slower with more weight, but still build up and go, but 4 stroke doesn't. Why is this and is there something I can do to make it go quicker with more weight in the boat. I'm not expecting 30 mph that weighted down, but at least 20. And why won't the rpm's get any higher to try and get it moving more. My old 16 footer would move faster with 2 adults and 3 kids, and it had half the horsepower. Sorry for long post, but don't want to leave anything out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
You might want to try a prop with less pitch . The one you have now is taking to big of a bite to let the motor rev up . Curt G.
[signature]
I thought about that but I dont know how to figure which one I need have to research it thanks
[signature]
[quote curt69]You might want to try a prop with less pitch . The one you have now is taking to big of a bite to let the motor rev up . Curt G.[/quote]

+1 Your local Mercury dealer will have a prop chart and probably some used props you can try. Might go with a stainless prop rather than aluminum as well.
[signature]
what is the advantage to stainless props
[signature]
Stainless doesn't flex, and not as easy to ding up.
We had a 16' Alumicraft and four adults with a 25 four, we went faster than that.
Timing right?
[signature]
I will check them out thanks again for all the info its really appreciated
[signature]
A lot of guys not only change props for weight in their boats but when traveling up in altitude have to reprop for higher lakes. As was noted, stainless have less flex but you don't want to hit anything solid with them as it can tear up your lower end. With every prop their are trade offs. You will want your RPM's at speed, with loads and without, with you when you go prop shopping. Your motor mfg has specs for RPM/Speed to help you with propping.
[signature]