Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1980s Merc wont go into reverse help
I just recently purchased this motor and it worked a few times but took it out today and it wont go into reverse.. Any suggestions on an easy fix please let me know... Forward works fine
[signature]
Well, let's see if we can figure this out. First, what size motor are we talking about? Second, when you say it won't go into reverse, does the lever move into reverse but the transmission doesn't shift? Or does the lever not go into reverse?

If the lever is hanging up, the problem may be in the control. I had a problem like that last year and had to replace a cam inside the control box. If the lever moves freely, then the trouble lies someplace in the motor.

Post up the size and serial number to help us out.
[signature]
sure its wear,do this, get it running,put it in forward, nuetral then finally throw it into rev,I've seen when you don't shift it hard enough the gear won't go in try making sure the lever looks normal in the nuetral position.just clunk it into gear everytime,you may hve to force it a little.my nephews 4 hp merc,80's motor does that.Thats how we solved that problem,let me know what you did.
[signature]