Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I'd Miss on Lake Lowell
Last month was a pretty good month for bass fishing on Lake Lowell. I fished 26 times, either boating out of Access 1 (Akies) or wading the south shore. I had a couple of zeros, but did manage to catch 215 largemouth. I'm an old man so I only fish from a couple of hours up to maybe 5 hours max. I found the average size fish larger this year than in the past and the fish were in excellent health.

All these fish were caught in areas that will be closed under all the plans (other than status quo) currently proposed by the refuge management. Do you want to lose this fishing opportunity? I sure don't.

Incidentally, while fishing this afternoon under the threat of wind, rain and tornadoes, I managed 7 bass up to 18". I also stood in one spot and counted 26 Western Grebes, including 5 on nests in the willows.
[signature]
I'm right there with you, Smartweed. I just hope that the people on here are realizing what is happening by our Federal Government. This can happen on any lake in this state. I hope we have everyone's support on this. Just think if this happened to, fill in your favorite fishing hole, and what it would mean to you, your kids, family and friends.

We need everyone to send in a comment, contact your Congressman, so we can stop this in its tracks. BTW, our Congressman are on our side but we need to let them know our feelings.
[signature]
you are the man at lowell. one time fishing the day before it closed we caught about 15 and 20 the week before but we usually only catch 4 or 5 and miss a few more each time any other time. i can catch 75 a day at brownlee and more than 100 at strike when they are on but i struggle at lowell. maybe because i have a nice bass boat and dont want to get it super scratched up there but i do get back in the shallows most times. trees are where its at.
[signature]
How can our congressmen stop this? Are there other agencies that we can go through too?
[signature]
[quote cpierce]How can our congressmen stop this? Are there other agencies that we can go through too?[/quote]
They can threaten to cut funding for this refuge. Or threaten to cut funding for the USFWS as a whole, due to economic stress on the cities in the Boise Valley.

The local Chambers of Commerce should be on top of this, as the plans will be an economic disaster to local businesses.
[signature]
Thank you, that helps me be a bit more specific in what I write.
[signature]
[inline fish.jpg]

This is what I'll miss most. A nice close to home spot to take your kids and freinds and have some decent fishing. Not to mention all the other recreation that goes on there.

I've been fishing out there off and on for more than twenty-five years. The bass fishing out there is way better today than it was back then. The F&G has manged to create a really nice fishery. Now the feds want to take it from us. This whole thing makes zero sense and is yet another example of the G overstepping it's bounds/authority.
[signature]
In the past I'd never spent much time around Lowell. My work schedule's been toyed with a bit for the next couple of weeks, leaving me some free time in the morning, so I loaded up my kayak today and headed for the closest flat water I've got, Lake Lowell.

I had just crossed the lake and had returned into the middle. Waves were present, but not a problem. It was early enough that I THOUGHT I saw a boat across the lake, but wasn't positive. Swallows played on the surface, I bobbed near them, all I could hear was the wind. I paused, took a deep breath then continued paddling.

I wasn't fishing today, the purpose of the outing was exercise and bringing fishing equipment along would have been detrimental to a workout, but the idea that anyone would want to take away such a pure, simple natural experience blows my mind. I had already written one letter, just on principle, but I'm going to have to redouble my efforts. That needs to stay available for when my son's old enough to join me.
[signature]