Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard N. Marina 6-8-11
[cool][#0000ff]Hoped to slip in a quick trip to the N. Marina before the forecast afternoon weather arrived. Got 'er done. Air temp 50 and water temp 62 inside the marina at 6:30 am launch. Clear and calm. Lovin' it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Made a circuit around the inside of the marina, tossing small jigs on one rod and dragging a minnow on the other. I could have got them Confused because I didn't get a tap on either one.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was fishing my way toward the channel to the lake when FlyGoddess showed up. We had agreed to meet up to try to get her bendo on a wiper with her fairy wand. Not today. She did manage a few[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]crappies on flies...and got to rassle with a couple of big nasty carp...but no wipers today. Good excuse to come back again. Her first outing here but I am guessing not her last.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I managed a triple play but no grand slam. Got one crappie, one wiper and one kitty. Tough fishing. Covered a lot of water with a lot of offerings...both inside and outside the marina. Saw very little on the sonar. Chatted with a few boaters as I loaded up to leave about 1. A few small wipers, a few small crappies and a couple of walleyes for the morning boat crews.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No power squadron today but the skeeters are a startin' to form up in aerial brigades. Didn't even use the fish cleaning station because a humming horde was waiting there for me to feed them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Purty day though. Water temps up to almost 65 when I got off the water at 1. The snow pack in the mountains has really shrunk. There were waterfalls visible up on the rock face of Ben Lomond. Summer might get here by September.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Surprised the fishing ain't picking up out there yet. Gotta be close with the water temps creeping up. Curious how the south side of the lake in doing along the dike and or in the marina.
[signature]
WHAT KIND OFF MINNOWS DO YOU USE AND WHERE DO YOU GET THEM?
[signature]
WHAT ARE THE BEST CAT RIGS ?
[signature]
I had my hopes up with Crappie on first cast, but I had to work hard after that. Two more Crappie and One good sized Carp was good enough for me though and being the first trip of many, I know what I will be doing differently.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Have heard from a couple of sources that the wipers are stacked at the inlet...near the south marina. That is free parking and shore fishing. Have not heard from anybody who has been getting them elsewhere. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Temperatures are a big factor but so is stable weather. Most species become more active and easier to catch after a couple of days of calm weather. Haven't seen those two days in Utah since...well...I just cain't reckymember.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I usually use chub minnows or carp minnows. I used to have a couple of good spots for the chub minnows but they have been off a bit in the last year. Most guys who trap their own minnows are pretty secretive about giving out the locations. That has been what has ruined my spots...too many people harvesting too many minnows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can buy chubs or shiners at Sportsmans and other locations. One spot I don't mind recommending is the Deer Valley ponds. They are small lakes and are closely regulated for fishing...no bait, etc. But, you can get chubs, fathead minnows and small pond carp with cast nets and minnow traps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BEST CATFISH RIGS? That is a very subjective question. Most veteran catmen have several they seem to settle on...and all will work. If you are fishing from shore, a slip sinker rig will help if you need distance. Otherwise, I like to fish without weight and let the fish pick up the bait and run before I set the hook.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you like to fish the shallows and around the brush and reeds, it is very effective to use a bobber anywhere from 2 to 4 feet above the bait. And I use a light jighead to hook the bait so that the weight helps keep it down if the breeze moves the bobber around.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a copy of my writeup on Utah Lake Catfish there is some discussion of baits, hooks, rigs and techniques in there. If you don't have it, send me a PM and I will shoot you a copy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Im guessin a good sized carp on a fly rod was fun. But then again almost any fish on any pole is fun[laugh] This has been the strangest spring / early summer weather I can remember in a long time. Seems like when I am off work Mother nature is blowing white caps across the ponds. Glad you found a few to play.
[signature]
YEAH IF YOU WOULD NOT MIND SENDING IT
[signature]
Thx for the report. Surprised the cookie cutters aren't out in force yet.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are plenty of kitties to be catched, but not as many inside the marina or in the open lake. This is the time when they head for the rocks and structure to make more cookies. I have already had some good days on cats...beginning in March.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was not targeting cats on this trip or I would have fished closer to the dikes. The only one I caught was inside the marina and it was an immature (non spawning) fish that was not subject to the pull of the "spring fling".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There will also be a lot of them up in the dirty flowing water of the inlet. That's where you go to catch some of the biggest kitties in Willard. And the biggest ones bite best after dark.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good days on cats and wipers we used to enjoy happened in late July through August...after all the spawning nonsense was over and fish were feeding on the baby shad and carp inside the marina.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Are you going to be able to chase some fishies this year?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would sure like to. Need to get a new sonar unit. I took the tube out a few times last year minus sonar and felt blind.. haha

We'll have to plan a trip sometime soon. [Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think I still have an Eagle 168EX I "retired" when I got my Humminbird. Works fine for tubing. I have used it both for tubing and ice fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Maybe we can work somethin out! [angelic]
[signature]
Quote:YEAH IF YOU WOULD NOT MIND SENDING IT

You might try not yelling at everyone in your posts [mad] Plus a PM is a personal message, not a post-reply.
Just ribbing ya Catfist - no chumming, and no all caps. At least in Utah.... [:p]
One of the keys I've been learning from TD for cats is to give them a chance to take the bait and move off - then before they feel back-pressure - set hook. The smallest bobber you can get away with will help in that regard. Plus using slip weights - so the line goes through - freely.

TD had some [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?do=forum_view_collapsed;forum=90;page=1"]minnows for sale[/url] on the for sale board back when. Not finding them now - so Pat does that mean the excess has been accounted for? Maybe not until you get into some new net-action as spring gets here (as IF!)

Thanks for another informative post Pat, plus some purdy fishpix! I do think Crappie are a mighty fine looking fish. Yet again a "slow" day for you still bags at least a few nice goodies. Surprised the Crappie aren't moving into the harbor more.

Guess now all the fisherman are gonna be stacked up at the inlet - though - sounds like they probably are already.
Wonder how this weather will impact the Wiperfest. Guess us northerners are getting clipped by this storm that was supposed to pass above us. There was golf-ball sized hail slamming Richmond this morning.

Was considering Willard on Saturday - but sounds like I'll go ahead and make the long trek - and give Utah Lake a first try. Just have to decide where to drop in. Thinking AF harbor - as it's the closest. But maybe on to Linden - wouldn't mind trying the bubble up area. Any suggestions for a first time on new water?
[quote fish_fear_me2]Im guessin a good sized carp on a fly rod was fun. But then again almost any fish on any pole is fun[laugh] This has been the strangest spring / early summer weather I can remember in a long time. Seems like when I am off work Mother nature is blowing white caps across the ponds. Glad you found a few to play.[/quote]

I don 't know any other way but fly. I agree totally though on everything including weather.

We need a floatilla, but the motor comes...LOL

Oh, and the Carp filled my lap, so guessing, about 26" long and healthy.
[signature]
While I dont have a lot of good to say about carp ..they do make great bait for those that use bait but they are strong fighters. Not real flashy as far as jumping but the can put a big pull on a line. So I am curious what weight rod you were using and line, tippit tec.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I do not run a commercial minnow sales operation. But sometimes toward the end of the busy fishing year if I see that I have more than I will need I offer to make a few available. It has been a lot tougher to find minnows in quantity...and quality this past few months.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This is not the time of year for crappies to be coming inside the marinas. That is usually in April and into May...normal spawning time. They are usually pretty well finished by now. But the crappie I caught and kept yesterday DID still have some semi-ripe eggs in it. As with all species the spawn will spread out over a longer period whenever there is unsettled weather and poor spawning conditions. Just nature's way of trying to insure that some of the spawn makes it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Doesn't matter whether or not I post about the wipers at the inlet. The "local grapevine" among the happy harvesters is what drives the throngs. One of the "insiders" gets into fish late one afternoon and the next morning you have to bring your own rock to stand on. And some of these guys return three or four times a day to haul out limits, take them home and then come back for more. Full contact fishing at its best.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My suggestion is Lindon. More varied types of fishng available in more spots...over a wider area than AFBH. See the attached maps. Send me a PM if you would like a more complete writeup. Just finished that part of the lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
No diss on the stacked inlet - [:p] I was kidding [:p] - something like mentioning Birch Creek. As you say - the folks that know, know already. Are they really that blatant? Same folks that'd snag Walleye spawning I'd guess. Oughta ship em down to chase stripers.

I thought your minnow sale was a seasonal thing. Still gotta drag your HGS down one of these days. Tried to get him to come to UL - but he's busy buzzing with bees.
Now chub minnows can be purchased, but the sports stores don't sell carp minnows, eh?
Have you ever tried squid strips for cats?

Been looking for reports of the crappie moving into harbor, but figured with our confusing spring they were off their marker. [crazy] I gather Walleye are more daylight-period focused, but I thought Crappie were more temp-driven.

Thanks. Sounded like Linden had a lot to offer. I printed a couple of your maps to hardcopy so I can bring'm with! I'll hope to be sure to post a report of lots of white bass [Wink]
"Now chub minnows can be purchased, but the sports stores don't sell carp minnows, eh?
Have you ever tried squid strips for cats?"

[cool][#0000ff]I don't think the commercial guys go after the carp minnows. It is a very short window of opportunity on most waters to find them concentrated and available. They move around a lot and in murky water you can't see them to target them. Risky with a cast net if there is bottom debris and they don't swarm inside minnow traps like chubs and shiners. But whenever I get a shot at some I definitely harvest what I can. Great bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
"Have you ever tried squid strips for cats?"
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yes, I have used squid for cats. Like almost all baits it will catch fish...but not any better than the fresh local stuff...minnows, carp meat, perch meat, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
"Been looking for reports of the crappie moving into harbor, but figured with our confusing spring they were off their marker. [crazy] I gather Walleye are more daylight-period focused, but I thought Crappie were more temp-driven."
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The crappies did show up on time inside the marina and the "locals" showed up to pound them. But the weather shortened the "run" and made the fishing erratic. It would be red hot one day and then nothing for several days in a row.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Walleyes are primarily known for feeding at night but during the post spawn feeding period and then again in the fall they will feed all day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Check with HGS for a copy of the more complete Lindon writeup I sent him.[/#0000ff]
[signature]