Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
good oar locks
Need advice on good pontoon oar locks or stops. I have the two piece screw together black rubber oar stops and they keep working loose. Last weekend I lost half of one to Davey Jones. Instead of just buying a replacement for my oars which are roughly 1.5 inches thick, I'm considering buying the stainless oar locks that screw together on top to hold the oar secure. Can anyone with more pontoon experience give me some advice on types of oar locks and stops they've had good success with, and perhaps types to avoid?
[signature]
I had two pontoons with the CLAMP on oar holders. They worked but that is what came with the boats. It was the Bucks Alpine and the NFO Navigator II. They are nice, but you do have to play with them to get them right because they will not move once the clamp is tightened.
I prefer the Horseshoe oar holders on boats, and "OAR RIGHTS" . However, I am not sure I need it with the new oars I am using, but they take the guess work out.
My other boat is just a big BOLT the goes throw the oar it's self.

Not sure what you have right now, but if it is the Brass Horseshoe style, then maybe look at Oar Rights.
[signature]
Thanks Fly Goddess. I'll look those up. I have the brass horseshoe type of oar holders, and the round black rubber stops keep coming loose.
[signature]
There are two sizes, but they are obvious. One set is for the bigger Drift Boat size oars.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1404

You will want to have them a little loose at first until you get the oars in position you want. Keep in mind, you will now have a left and right due to the angle of the blade, but you do with the clamp on also. Mark one oar helps.
Take a screw driver out with you and once you get them adjusted, tighten up. One more question, the OARS should have a black PVC sleeve (right were it rests in the horse shoe - about 10" long) so that it isn't metal to metal.
[signature]