Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing from a Tube/Toon
PM me Albino
[signature]
This is an excellent read by Brian Chan.
http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/tactic...d-tactics/
[signature]
Where's a good place to start with Chronomid flies? I'd also be interested in seeing the indicators you use. For the leaders, are you just using straight mono (flouro)? Or are you tying something else up?

Sounds like a great way to effectively fish without wearing yourself out trying to troll.
[signature]
Any place. They are in ALL waters. Sonar does help however.
Yes, I use straight fluorocarbon. The only knots are at the loop, and about 3' to 5' up from end for tags.
There can be no knots in the leader or the peg in the slip indicator won't slide.

Strawberry is great with a black and red rib. Start off suspending it one foot off the bottom.
If I am fishing from shore, I have to guess and experiment of course, but it can be done. On shore I use a nine foot tapered leader to cast easier, and set the indicator at 8'...then keep trying and shortening.
[signature]
I want to thank FG for a great thread. I started using the technique this year and I must say it works, really works.
The first time I did it I it seemed really slow but I did manage a few fish. Then after further searching of the
internet I found that you should know a little about bottom structure, as drop offs seem to hold more fish. Weed beds
have also come into play with this technique. The same principle of chronamids but with the callibeatis hatch that has
started here in CO. You want to suspend your fly just on top of the weeds and then do the slow hand twist retrieve
with a two to four inch strip thrown in, and hold on. This linked site has some pretty good videos on the techniques
as well as some basic set ups and a few flies.

[url "http://fishingvideozone.com/tag/chironomid/page/2"]http://fishingvideozone.com/tag/chironomid/page/2[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for all the info, I'm definitely going to try this out. If you had to pick three patterns to start what would they be and in what sizes (just to help me get my foot in the door).

Thanks again,
[signature]
Black with white rib in #12 to #22
[Image: BlackChironomid.jpg]

Same thing with red wire

Irish Spring or Olive on Scud or straight hook

[Image: IrishSpringWhite.jpg]

Blood Midge:

[Image: IMG_2934.jpg]

These are my go tos, but I want to add...BUZZERS

[Image: IMG_0730.jpg]

There are also Chromies, Barber Shop Pole, Ice Cream Cones when all else fails.
[signature]
Is that a bead on the blood midge?

You're awesome, thanks for all the help.
[signature]
Yes, but tie it both ways. Also a Black Bead works with a tuft of white by the eye.
[signature]
Think these are close enough? I'm hoping to try them out in the next couple of days.
[signature]
Very Nice! That will work. You MIGHT need to put a BB split shot on too to get them down fast.
[signature]
That sounds easy enough, I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks again,
[signature]