Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24 Mile/Chesterfield Res area creeks??
I will be in Chesterfield June 23rd, 24th, and 25th. I want to fish 24 mile, and Chesterfield, or any streams. I will fishing from the bank with a lure or fly. Any suggestions would be GREAT!!! What to use, maybe where to focus my efforts for bank angling. I would really prefer a river or creek but I just don't know that area very well. Are there any creeks close by. I am helping with a youth trip so I will need to be close. We will be in the town of Chesterfield so I figured Chesterfield, and 24 mile Res would be close enough to fish.
[signature]
Your best bet is going to be as you said Chesterfield (1mi) and 24 Mile (2.5mi). Both have some special regulations - Chesterfield is a 2 fish limit, and 24 Mile is a barbless hook and only 2 over 20" lake.

The rivers and streams are high right now and I don't know if they will be down to a reasonable level by then -- maybe.

Across the valley to the west from Chesterfield is the Portneuf River --- about 8 to 10 miles away. Maybe some of Pebble Creek might be fishable by then, but you will just have to look and see. Right now the Portneuf is high but not quite at flood stage any more, but a few warmer days could change that quickly.
[signature]
I was thinking the same thing. Does 24 mile get less pressure? I know chesterfield gets hit pretty hard. I can cast a streamer about 80 feet so I will be pretty limited
[signature]
Go over the dam to the north east side at chesterfield. It drops off big time on that side. Casting 80' you will be in 30' easy.
I want to get up there too, maybe around the 23rd through the weekend.
[signature]
Great thank you! I might not be able to cast 80'. I have never measured how far it is. It is almost all of my streamer express line. Maybe it is only 60-70 feet, ha!
[signature]
Lets just say that about 30' off the shore on that side is around the 30' mark. It is a major drop off.
[signature]
Here is Chesterfield when it is down and you can see the depths and where bank drop off quickly or slope slowly.

24 Mile is small and usually less pressure. There is lots of bank that you can cast from there too.
[signature]
Toponce creek up toponce-Kelly road can be fun fishing but as everyone said run off will likely be an issue. If you go a ways up the road there are some fun beaver ponds to cast a fly in. Otherwise I would say 24 mile is your best bet from the bank. Tight lines
[signature]
Are the fish pretty big in 24 mile? Also are streamers a good bet?
[signature]
I don't know how big the fish in 24 mile are as of now. The fish in Chesterfield are respectable. I think 24 mile is tougher to fish because of the high weeds. I have done my very best at night in my tube on 24 mile.

I personally think both of them are a little tough from the bank.

I would go with small leech, snail, and scud patterns. I'm sure they will take other things, but I think the small crystal buggers, mity mouse etc... are more consistent.

Windriver
[signature]
I don't like 24 mile much, cause I have never had much luck on it. Don't mean you shouldn't try it tho. Its a beautiful little lake and never has hardly anyone on it when i have been there. I would give it half a day and if you find fish then give it more time. What little luck I have had there was in the deeper parts by the dam. The upper portion where the water comes in has a lot of weeds and is really overgrown on the banks. If you have a float tube or toon its fish-able up there but otherwise its out. If you don't do well there, I recommend chesterfield. Fishing can be great and they definitely have good size to em. Portneuf up there has big fish too so you may consider it as well if its not overflowin.
[signature]